Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Caster issue after EFC suspension

Skindiver

HI Guys.
I'm Greg from Johannesburg, South Africa. I have had my 4500GX 80 since new in 1997. Best car I've ever owned. Never given me a days trouble and in daily use since then. Im probably at about 400 000km but my car is mechanically and cosmetically 9.5 /10.
However, The price of fuel has had me buy a Chev Utility runabout and I have relegated my tank for my twice monthly run to my weekend home at the lake where its light duties include 10km of corrugated sand roads to get there and launching my boat etc. It will also take my family on holiday to the seaside once or twice a year where it will also launch a boat or jetski.

I had a aluminium Bocar bullbar but my wife drive over a hatchback that made a u turn in front of her and the bullbar was bent up. It was replaced with a heavier steel ARB non winch bullbar.

The heavier bullbar seemed to pull the nose down a bit and at the same time I began to feel that the car was crashing into speedbumps and potholes instead of eating them for breakfast. Even from brand new the car was disappointingly shuddery and rattly on corrugated sand roads and I decided that if I was going to keep it to infinity I wanted to improve the still origional suspension.

I called a fitment centre asking after Ironman but was convinced to install EFC. I explained that a lift was not my goal but I would not mind a bit of lift if it was a consequence of fitting the new suspension. I was told that it would lift about 50mm or 2 inches. Having read about lifts here i felt that that was mild and would most likely have little negative consequences. So I went for it. I was not advised about any adverse issues including a possible need for caster correction.
As i approached the car in the parking lot on pick up day it seemed very high. It looked ok and I supposed that perhaps it had been saggy before especially with the bullbar and the big lift I was seeing included the return to factory height and then plus the 50mm.

The car tracked straight on the freeway with the steering a bit sensitive but as soon as I hit rough bumpy tar the car was all over the place. Lots of work to keep straight and very disconcerting. I even stopped to check if the wheel nuts were tight.

I persisted with this until the 500km check and complained. First I was told to go get my steering linkages etc checked out. Then eventually caster correction started coming up in the discussion. This was then done with apparently 3 degree bushes.
The car feels less sensitive on the freeway but I have not hit my bit of rough road yet to see how it will behave there.

The kit that was put in my car for everyday use with non winch bullbar and light to occasional medium loads in the back and with a mandate to improve pothole and corrugations damping ( not heavy 4x4 overland stuff), is as follows:

L/Cruiser 100GX 98+ sus-front 60kg 40mm
L/cruiser 100GX 98+ sus-rear 100KG 40mm
L/cruiser 79 07+ steering damper.

I questioned why 100 series but was told that they are the same kit as for the 80.

My wheel alignment with stock suspension before EFC:

Caster left 2'24' Right 2'24'
After EFC:
Caster left -2'42' Right -2.21 ( negative)

So I lost averagely 4'50' of caster. After my research this seemed excessive to what would have been expected for a 50mm lift.

The installed 3 degree bushes and this was the result

Caster left 0'04' Right 0'21'

So that gained averagely 2'.4'.

My issue is that its still way below the factory range of 2'.05' to 3'35'
To my mind I need another 2-3' of caster.

Can anyone say why they think I lost so much caster ?
Is the 100 kit the same as the 80 ?
Should I be chasing the factory caster specs after the suspension install ?
Does this look ( pic) like just a 50mm lift ? ( pic to follow)

What to do ?

Last edited:
a better pic perhaps

Attachments

• landcruiser resized.jpg
    landcruiser resized.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 167
I would check your front wheel toe in first and make sure thee is no play in the steering box. Also check the steering damper. These are easier jobs to do first and may cure your problem.

I would check your front wheel toe in first and make sure thee is no play in the steering box. Also check the steering damper. These are easier jobs to do first and may cure your problem.

Hi Frank

Toe before EFS

Left toe 0'09' Right toe 0'03'

Toe after EFS

Left toe 0'09' Right toe 0'09'

Factory spec 0'00' - 0'05'

A little too much toe ?

I have minor play in the steering and adjusted the box. I had the same play before EFS and the car tracked straight on the same bumpy road.

They put a new EFS damper on at the same time.

Skin diver if you try
somebody in joburg might be able to look at it for you there is alot of great help from those chaps.
where abouts in joburg are you?
stu

HI Stumog. Thanks for the link. I'm in Edenvale.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i dont know that area.
what price did you pay for the efs set up please and what ones do you know.
I am in pretoria in march april time.

You should have EFS Wi-Fi41 rear and EFS Wi-Fi43 elites front and back

Didnt know you knew so much about 80's Gary thanks

I think you are OK on those 3 points then. Others have more knowledge than me on caster correction.

i dont know that area.
what price did you pay for the efs set up please and what ones do you know.
I am in pretoria in march april time.

Here is my invoice

Attachments

• EFSInvoice0001.jpg
    EFSInvoice0001.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 175
Bloody autocorrect has made a totalhash of my post. Should be 36-5541 and 36-5543 shocks.

Yup Stu had 2 80s so far. Another one coming soon no doubt ;-) well - we hope

Nope just suggesting you check the invoice for what they gave you. I'll check the EFS site to confirm whether they suit the 100 and 80 ...

i thought that the 105 and the 80 were interchangable not the 100 as that IFS? they might know something i dont. this is not hard to do from my post on the alternator brushes.:oops:

105 and 80 are yes - 100 and 80 are not.

I'd say they've fitted the wrong kit. The EFS site doesn't show me those kits but the shocks you have are probably 36-5552 front and 36-5550 rear. No idea what springs they will have used given 100 is IFS. And there is no 40mm lift available for the 80.
Definitely worth a challenge to the suppliers

Huh and it's Safari Centre too. Bunch of monkeys ....

i thought that the 105 and the 80 were interchangable not the 100 as that IFS? they might know something i dont. this is not hard to do from my post on the alternator brushes.:oops:

I was thinking the same thing Stu, I know that generally the "100" is often used generically, but for the front suspension and steering, the "105" bit is rather relevant!

I can't imagine that anything "100 IFS" related at the front is compatible with an 80. :think:

I did read that there is a model of '100' series that has a solid front axle only but not sure if that is the GX they state in the part number maybe check with efs head office then go back to the safari center. I have not been impressed with there knowlage when asked questions about the products they sell. even with a Africans translater.......
Stu

Hi skindiver, your right your castor should be around 3'00 certainly no less. There's been more than few examples of people reporting the same experience as you after installing a lift. I also have a 2.5" OME lift and even with the correction bushes my castor is well below spec. If it turns our your suspension was correctly supplied, one option would be to fit a set of 5 degree castor correction plates such as those offered by Slee (though I think ironman may also do them...). This is what I intend to do as it has been documented on ih8mud and shown to correct the castor back to 3'00+ for a 2.5" lift.

Back