Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Castor correction thoughts.

Rob-o

Evening all, hoping to gather some opinions of possible!

I'm looking to replace the nasty castor correction bushes I currently have fitted, (PO fitted them) with the new OE bushes I've got in the shed. I'm sure they contributed to my radius arm mount and axle casing parting ways.

I'm only lifted a couple of inches, so, I'm wondering how best to correct the caster, if it needs correcting at all. It drives beautifully now so I think some correction is in order.

Do I:

A. Make or buy some drop boxes
B. Buy some castor correction plates
C. Try the 'washer mod' with the front radius arm bolt.

Any thoughts appreciated! I'm leaning towards buying plates but fear they may provide more correction than I want. I'd have to lift it more then....

Thanks

Rob

Im having the same thoughts.

#sits and waits#

OK, you asked for an opinion, so I'll give mine for what it may be worth.

I had a 110mm OME lift, guessing that would be circa 4". I had CC bushes fitted and it seemed ok.

However, I did notice the truck steering had become very sensitive to puddles on the highway, meaning when I hit a puddle on one side, the steering would pull over that way quite alarmingly, on occasions.

I lived with it for some time but then decided to do away with the CC bushes and invest in dropper boxes from FNB, and I got them through Scott.

The transformation was staggering. She runs true now, without fail, puddles, mud, slush or snow, nothing phases it, it's a dream to drive, and so much safer than before.

I have no experience of plates, or the washer mod, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend dropper boxes.

With only a 2" lift, I'm not sure that suitable droppers are available. Maybe the plates option would be more suitable.

Whichever way you go, I recommend getting the truck measured, I think most modern garages will have the equipment these days to give you a print-out of all your angles, camber, caster, track etc.

There's a plate mod thread on this forum somewhere, but I can't remember who posted, they were the weld-on type, so a permanent mod of the axle, with good results IIRC, it might have been SeaJay's 80, in Australia, but not sure...

I am running around a 3-4" lift now and need some correction.

Spoke to Karl the other day who is having some plates made up for me.

They are perfect for the job and can't justify spending the money on the lowering boxes mentioned above.

Plates are a good option for a 2" lift. Nice, simple, easy and removable. The washer trick works very well but needs more tools and skill. Drop boxes unnecessary fro a 2" lift but anything more than that and they are THE solution. Any more than 2" and the steering arm, gets very close to the radius arms. CC doesn't fix that. You have to drop the rear eye.

Experience shows that 2" is the borderline where you either have issues or you don't. I am guessing that manufacturing tolerances, along with different spring rates are why such a variance exists. OP states car drives great so why change anything?

For factual information I would have an alignment check, you may find your two inch lift is still close to OE castor specs?

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Experience shows that 2" is the borderline where you either have issues or you don't. I am guessing that manufacturing tolerances, along with different spring rates are why such a variance exists. OP states car drives great so why change anything?

For factual information I would have an alignment check, you may find your two inch lift is still close to OE castor specs?

Regards

Dave

I'll definitely have alignment done, the only reason for any of this is that my CC bushes need replacing, and I have a set of standard bushes in the shed. I'm also sure that the contributed to my snapped radius arm mount. I suppose fitting the standard bushes (I.e. No correction) and seeing what's what with measurements would be the first step. That said, the PO said he found the CC bushes a necessity.

Plates are a good option for a 2" lift. Nice, simple, easy and removable. The washer trick works very well but needs more tools and skill. Drop boxes unnecessary fro a 2" lift but anything more than that and they are THE solution. Any more than 2" and the steering arm, gets very close to the radius arms. CC doesn't fix that. You have to drop the rear eye.

I liked look of your home made drop boxes, that's what got me thinking about them! Fabrication wise for the washer trick I'd be fine, i was more concerned about the MOT man, but I suppose as long as everything is structurally sound he shouldn't complain!

Also it's worth saying that I'm about an inch lower at the front for some reason, so if I had to lift it a little it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I am running around a 3-4" lift now and need some correction.

Spoke to Karl the other day who is having some plates made up for me.

They are perfect for the job and can't justify spending the money on the lowering boxes mentioned above.

Aha, maybe I'll give him a poke!

Home-made? How very dare you. They're from FNB in Oz. I did have a go and extending the boxes myself but it didn't work. Well not over 45 mph

I've got 2.5" lift, no cc done just standard bushes etc and it drives great. The very odd time it's got nothing in the back (drawers etc removed) and the guards off underneath it's not quite as nice to drive, it does sit higher with no weight which obviously pushes it out of tolerance. I've felt no need to change the castor as 99.9% of the time it's good.

Interestingly they say only fit autos. What's different in that area please.

I thought that the drop boxes would fit either.

I was about to ask that too!

Home-made? How very dare you. They're from FNB in Oz. I did have a go and extending the boxes myself but it didn't work. Well not over 45 mph

Ah sorry! It was a little while ago I read that part of your build I must admit!

It's the position of the cross member as far as I know. Different on manuals v autos

Do FNB not do them for different lifts as they do them to fit a manual?

I'd fit your stock bushes without castor correction on a two inch lift and see how you like it. No correction on mine and I'm happy with it as it is, imo it's not necessary at two inches.

Back