Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CB Radio ideas.

mike smith

Country Flag
australia
I want to put one in my truck, i have convinced my wife to let me keep it. I showed her i can drive it like a heavy vehicle and not a car.

Anyway, come on guys give me some idea of brands and pros and cons, all i seem to find on the net is bad reports, i would like to here from guys who use them and what brand and the range etc.

I've got a uniden in my 4Runer, and am looking for another for the Land Cruiser. Mine run with a remote mic, so all the controls are on there, as well as it being a speaker mic.

I try to find a kit deal with antenna(s), so they come in around $350 from people like Ryda.com.au or Pocketronics. I've dealt with both of them over the years.

CB is ancient technology now so i just looked for one that fitted where i wanted to put it .

Pretty much as Shayne said. Getting it fitted correctly with a decent and well sited antenna are probably more important than which particular model you choose.

On the subject of CB's, I've got a President Johnson model which I think is the top of their range I was attracted to the fact that it has a front mounted built in speaker, it also has a socket on the back for an extension speaker. Unfortunately the built in speaker is a bit too quiet, so my question is can any speaker be used as an extension?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Usually any speaker of 4 to 8 ohms impedance will be fine but it should say in the specs/handbook.

On the subject of CB's, I've got a President Johnson model which I think is the top of their range I was attracted to the fact that it has a front mounted built in speaker, it also has a socket on the back for an extension speaker. Unfortunately the built in speaker is a bit too quiet, so my question is can any speaker be used as an extension?
Extension speakers are readily available for not much dosh on eBay and the like.

CB is dead here in Aus (27MHz) but UHF is still used, especially the further out you go and the more time you spend on the road.

Mine is set to 18/40 (general road traffic/trucks) and flicks between the 2 all the time. There's been a number of times where I've been able to call the trucks to let them know that there's a problem ahead of them - most recently was at the top of a 16km climb there was a lane out, but it's a blind corner and the trucks crawl up there, so the ability to get out to the other lane in advance was worth them knowing about - or just to say thank you to them for pulling over when they're an oversize load.

The Uniden I linked to earlier has a speak mic, so the speaker is built into the mic as well as the unit - this works really well and is nice and clear in use; doesn't need an extension speaker to get the noise out. Set loud enough I can run it from in the car and be out the car and still hear it.

CB is dead here in Aus (27MHz) but UHF is still used, especially the further out you go and the more time you spend on the road.

Mine is set to 18/40 (general road traffic/trucks) and flicks between the 2 all the time. There's been a number of times where I've been able to call the trucks to let them know that there's a problem ahead of them - most recently was at the top of a 16km climb there was a lane out, but it's a blind corner and the trucks crawl up there, so the ability to get out to the other lane in advance was worth them knowing about - or just to say thank you to them for pulling over when they're an oversize load.

The Uniden I linked to earlier has a speak mic, so the speaker is built into the mic as well as the unit - this works really well and is nice and clear in use; doesn't need an extension speaker to get the noise out. Set loud enough I can run it from in the car and be out the car and still hear it.

Ok so im old and i remember CB radios, so you know what i mean, but i want something that can mount to an overhead console, if i am to still keep this truck, its debatable at the moment as er indors is still not happy.

I use and highly recommend this Midland model.

https://midlandusa.com/product/75-822cb-radio/

The mike-head acts as speaker/mike/and houses all controls. There is no separate "box" to hard-mount. It can be moved from vehicle to vehicle with power from cigarette lighter. You will need a hard wired external antenna for best performance. It comes with an adapter to make it completely portable with "floppy" antenna ( only good for short range, such as spotting another vehicles ). I have this unit and a quick disconnect Firestick antenna with cable from it to my cabin. I easily disconnect the Midland from coaxial cable, unplug power from cig-lighter socket, and with a quarter turn remove the Firestick. Eliminates all theft issues with a hard mount box.

Just my opinion. I use this set-up on trail/road with no range issues.

I use and highly recommend this Midland model.

https://midlandusa.com/product/75-822cb-radio/

The mike-head acts as speaker/mike/and houses all controls. There is no separate "box" to hard-mount. It can be moved from vehicle to vehicle with power from cigarette lighter. You will need a hard wired external antenna for best performance. It comes with an adapter to make it completely portable with "floppy" antenna ( only good for short range, such as spotting another vehicles ). I have this unit and a quick disconnect Firestick antenna with cable from it to my cabin. I easily disconnect the Midland from coaxial cable, unplug power from cig-lighter socket, and with a quarter turn remove the Firestick. Eliminates all theft issues with a hard mount box.

Just my opinion. I use this set-up on trail/road with no range issues.
I've got one of these as a back up or for anyone in the convoy who doesn't have a CB, I got mine from http://www.4x4cb.com/index.cfm it was bought a while ago for £98.

I run the GME XRS 370C with the GME AW4706B Antenna (6db) great radio, love that I can program the radio from my iphone.

Back