Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CB Radio mast mount

whereisgibson

Hi,

I'm a few clicks away from a CB radio setup but wondering what mount to go for.

I'd take a gutter one, but fear the mast would get battered by the trees if it's not centrally aligned.
The magnetic ones look ok but do they actually stay in place? Surely a branch could knock it off and possibly take the wiring, radio, and dash with it? :)
I'm not drilling any holes in my roof. Fact.
The boot lip ones sound ideal but i'd like to know if anyone has used one that is known to fit the rear swing-up hatch of an lc80.

Ideas?

I put a mag mount with a springer on top of Muxley. Its survived quite a few wollops since then & not budged at all. It bounces around like mad & it took me a while to realise what the noise was :oops:

I've used a springer for cost & for the fact I am only trying to communicate with a truck 10 foot in front of me most of the time. That said, on our last outing, the range was very impressive - ask Karl :cool:

I may get a better one when I get my front bumper sorted but this is proving fine for now.

What cb are you going for?

Cheers

Does that need an adapter from the mobile aerial to the standard plug on the lead. Just worth checking. I know mine needs a reducer.

Chris

whereisgibson said:
The handheld H520.
Looks neat :cool:

If you are buying from Thunderpole, I found them very helpful & good service.

Gav Peter said:
If you are buying from Thunderpole, I found them very helpful & good service.
Probably am, plus the forum preferred discount supplier doesn't have stock.

Chris said:
Does that need an adapter from the mobile aerial to the standard plug on the lead. Just worth checking. I know mine needs a reducer.
Good call, I'll check that.

Still not sure about the magnetic mount. Hmmn, I suppose it's down to the flexiwobbliboinginess of the aerial to move before the base does. @Gav, how tall are you running?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've dragged it through some pretty low trees & Muxley sits nice & high - it didn't move around... Think its the 6" one... Fits between the ridges on the 80 roof beautifully!!!

The rear door mount seems like a good position so that the base is protected but mine is a work in progress so...

The mag mount isn't too pricey & if it doesn't work out, you can always turn it into a work light like Steve (SAE70) on here did!!!

Martin,
The gutter mount on the 80 works fine - more firmly attached to the truck than a magmount for sure. Unless you have a hefty branch scraping along the gutter (which would probably be causing much more £££ damage to the truck than a few quid for an aerial and mount), the mount should be sturdy enough.
Yes, it flies around and clatters against the roof occasionally. In an ideal world, you'd want to aerial as high above the body as possible for better reception, so a gutter should be better than some kind of mounting on the rear tailgate AFAIK.

Best is probably to drill a hole in the middle of the roof and mount there but that requires some real courage :twisted:

Cheers,

Just take the chrome trim off the gutter first to keep it looking good (do UK 80s have chrome gutter trim??). It just slides out it's rails and that at least saves a few pennies - no need to replace a crushed bit of trim :)

I use a mag mount which works fine - even in the middle of the roof it gets clobbered ... Well, it does on the lanes Jon takes you on :)

Back