Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CDL burnt motor

Luis 80

Garage
Country Flag
portugal
So, after a long drive to Portugal, the 80 done well. But was due a couple fixes by my mechanic (aka brother). Haven't had center Difflock for quite some time, that meant no other lockers also! On the hope he could fix it, upon taking it, its completely burnt the motor. No hope! How difficult is it to source one, new it's over £600 from my quick search. So used would be my only option and take the risk I suppose. Anyone had the same issue and how did they source one? Many thanks in advance. Luis

Hi Luis,

I’ve no idea on replacements but I may be able to get the old motor rebuilt for you. If you get stuck let me know. I’m guessing less than €200 but would get you a firm price once it was in the workshop.

Thanks for all your replies, the motor inside was completely melted.
Got a replacement from Karl straight to Portugal. Question if someone can clarify this, when assembling the centre Difflock, any particular way of putting back in? Seen a post stating to have it locked!! But doesn't make sense imo.
As we are replacing it how do I know it its locked or unlocked also. Sorry for the load of questions, time is running out for our departure from Portugal.

Luis, I've never seen a cdl inside but if it works similarly to the F or R diff lock then you will be able to make it move by changing the cdl switch position after connecting the cable but before bolting it to the diff. So nothing easier then putting it in the locked position. I would think that the easiest way to mount the actuator would be to have it in the same position as the sleeve of the diff lock. But then again, I've only done the R diff.

Thanks guys for your comments, yes connected it up before bolting it in, and switched the CDL button to lock and unlocked position, we did assemble it in the unlocked position. And all 3 lockers now work, thank god for that. Rear diff with new bearings, seals, alarm with central locking fitted and some other small fixes thanks to my brother worth the drive down. Final checks and test run tomorrow.
Ready for Friday for 2700 miles drive to the UK and back to reality!

Thats good news Luis. Safe journey. :clap:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Haver the alarm also fitted the cruiser is now completely dead to the turn of the key! We did remove the old toyota alarm, it was disconnect (fuse removed) used the power for the new alarm for power and for the central locking.
Any clues how to start diagnostic! Still on 24v start, 24v Relay works, starter motor seems good.

Check for 12v at the small wire to the starter solenoid when the key is turned. Try a 12v feed to this connector and see if you get the starter to spin. Re-trace the immobiliser steps on installing the alarm.

Check for 12v at the small wire to the starter solenoid when the key is turned. Try a 12v feed to this connector and see if you get the starter to spin. Re-trace the immobiliser steps on installing the alarm.
Thanks well give a go.

Looks departure for tomorrow is looking a bit dodgy.

After 2 hours of looking through, found the dreaded wire, or my brother did as I'm not as that minded to proper troubleshooting
Oh I want a 12v starter motor so much.

Are you saying that your starter motor doesn’t work?

Are you saying that your starter motor doesn’t work?
After looking in detail it's all down to the factory alarm removal and a wire that goes to the ignition.

On route to the UK, left yesterday. All going well.

After looking in detail it's all down to the factory alarm removal and a wire that goes to the ignition.

On route to the UK, left yesterday. All going well.
:thumbup:

Where are you travelling from? Perhaps you could post a thread up on the ‘Trips and Trip Reports’ section with some pics so that we can follow your journey?

Good luck.

:thumbup:

Where are you travelling from? Perhaps you could post a thread up on the ‘Trips and Trip Reports’ section with some pics so that we can follow your journey?

Good luck.
I'm not very good at taking pictures.
Arived today at 6am after 37 hours of travelling across 2 days.
Total travelling was from Albufeira to the Wirral via the eurotunnel.
80 behaved spot-on. Still to do the average mpg not expecting amazing results as we pushed a bit at times.

Back