Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Center Diff Lock light not engaging and front and rear locker not working

Aaron93LC

Country Flag
united_states
Hello again!

My 1993 FZJ80 has developed a new quirk. When I engage the center diff lock the light does not come on. I know the locker is working, I can hear it and feel it in how the truck handles. When that occurs the front and rear lockers will not engage. Occasionally if I turn the truck off, then back on with the CDL engaged the CDL light will come on and the front and rear lockers will work as they should. Is there a loose connection I should be looking for or one that I may need to clean?

Thanks for any and all help..... again!

Hi Aaron,
is your truck full time 4wd?
grtz
wout

When the CD locks, a DL position switch on the transfer box sends a signal to the DL ECU to confirm it is actually locked. The ECU then allows the locking of the F & R DL's. If you have a bad/intermittent connection here you would get the symptoms you describe. Check the connections of the plugs on the transfer box to make sure they're electrically sound and also the plugs at the ECU. If they all seem OK move on to the wiring itself and check for any damage and continuity.

When the CD locks, a DL position switch on the transfer box sends a signal to the DL ECU to confirm it is actually locked. The ECU then allows the locking of the F & R DL's. If you have a bad/intermittent connection here you would get the symptoms you describe. Check the connections of the plugs on the transfer box to make sure they're electrically sound and also the plugs at the ECU. If they all seem OK move on to the wiring itself and check for any damage and continuity.

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

Just fixed this very problem on Trevor's truck this weekend. A wire had come off the plug connector. We pinched the redundant plug from the back end of the transfer case and Steve patched it in. The wire snapped right at the plug top. The detent plunger also need a clean. Easy test is to pull the plug off and just stick a short jumper wire in both terminals. You should get the lock light come on then

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The damnedest thing happened yesterday. I engaged the CDL while driving about 30mph and it engaged and the light came back on. It's been working ever since. I have no idea if doing it with some speed helped or what happened there, but I'll take it.

Back