Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Center Differential Lock Pin 7 Mod

David

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
As anyone on here done this mod.as I think it would be quite good to beable to be in low range without the CDL being locked
Be great to hear some pro's and con's of doing this mod
Thanks David

Total no brainer Dave, transforms things for the better. Plenty of discussion on the search engine

All you need to do dave is go under the truck and pull a plug off the transfer. 5 min job and it gives you full controll over the centre diff lock by the button.

Don't mess with the Pin 7 thing. Not necessary. That's to do with gear change ratios. Just do as Karl suggested and unplug the connection on the transfer box. There are no con's. Just pros. You get full control of CD locker and you get sensible ratios in low range - as Gav found out! But you need a dash button too or you won't be able to lock it at all.

I have the CDL button on the dash

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just to explain - although searching would be better - when you go into low, you get this ridiculous gear shift pattern. 1st takes forever to change up into 2nd. When you pull the plug all of this is cured. BUT if you are a Yank and you go rock crawling your WANT that long 1st gear. So messing with pin 7 gives that back. It's stupid and more than a little annoying for most people, so just pull the plug.

Might be being thick here. so if I pull the plug my dash CDL switch will put it back in

Yep, the plug you pull is concerned with the hi low box interlock (I think!!) We pulled mine half way along Strata after a bit of an exciting evening eh Chris

We certainly did Gav. Never seen you so happy. Pulling the plug is all you have to do. I put the finger off an old glove over the dangly bit and some grease in the socket but you don't have to. Dash switch then gives you full control in either high or low range. Clearly the front and rear locker only work with the CDL but they will now work in high range too.

My 94 vx doesn't have a dash button, is the wiring behind the centre dash bit?

As above all is correct, I did it the Slee way though despite being a manual transmission, because I needed the plug to stay in place, engaging low brings on the electric engine cooling fan regardless of other fan controls.

regards

Dave

No electric fan on mine

Pulled the plug on mine, good gearshifts in low range and full control of the centre diff by the dash switch. If need it to hold 1st I just shift into 1st.

Electric engine fan?

No electric fan on mine

Yep, found the OE cooling system is (like pretty much everything on the 80) is over specced. Decided to try an electric radiator fan. Been playing with temp switches/AC trinary switches/wading stop/low range override and so forth, early days but looks good so far.

regards

Dave

I have found the tread about it now
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/52859-Disabling-Auto-CDL-in-Low?highlight=plug
Now which plug is it?, I will get my coat:icon-biggrin:

:lol: I got into trouble asking which plug it was David... :icon-rolleyes:, anyway to save you any hassle it turned out to be the yellow circled one.

It's great without CDL in Low and the dash CDL button is always there when you do need it!

So easy just pulling a plug, you can always re-connect it if you don't like it :thumbup:.

Thanks Clive I will get it disconnected

Back