Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Centre diff lock

Ian Rubie

Country Flag
uk
I am pondering getting a 2007ish UK spec 120. The idea of a LC3 appeals because it comes with a rear diff lock rather than ATRAC. The few times I've seen ATRAC in action have left me underwhelmed to say the least.

Now to the question, are the transfer box and centre diff lock independently controlled i.e. a simple H - N - L lever and a button for CDL or do they have a H - HL - N - LL system that prevents low box with an open centre diff? I downloaded a manual from an Australian site which seemed to indicate both systems were fitted.

Ian

I am pondering getting a 2007ish UK spec 120. The idea of a LC3 appeals because it comes with a rear diff lock rather than ATRAC. The few times I've seen ATRAC in action have left me underwhelmed to say the least.

Now to the question, are the transfer box and centre diff lock independently controlled i.e. a simple H - N - L lever and a button for CDL or do they have a H - HL - N - LL system that prevents low box with an open centre diff? I downloaded a manual from an Australian site which seemed to indicate both systems were fitted.

Ian

My 2005 LC3 is H-HL-N-LL. No button for the centre diff.

I guess its the same as a Collie. H-HCDL-N-LCDL. The rear locker will only engage in low. All on a lever.

I guess its the same as a Collie. H-HCDL-N-LCDL. The rear locker will only engage in low. All on a lever.

Just like a Collie. The rear locker swicth makes a flashing red picture come up on the dashboard. And nothing happens anywhere near the rear axle.

Thanks for the replies. I've been browsing eBay and found this LC5 which shows a H - N - L lever in one of the pictures.

2005 LC5 Link

Guess it is a spec thing but still unsure.

I think looking at that lever Ian it's different to the LC3-4. I looked a an LC4 last year and it was different to that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ian on my LC4 it's similar to that picture, except I don't have the air suspension. So the H-N-L lever is just that, high and low ratio. I have a separate switch just at the top where the heated seat switches are which engages the center diff. I don't have a rear locker as that was only on the LC3's I believe.

I am sure on mine you can engage L without the center diff locked. Does not actually answer your original question, but hopefully clarifies that image in the ebay add

Last edited:
20160630_213417-600x800.jpg

Here is a pic showing the switch next to the 12V power socket

Thanks. Apart from Andy's report it looks like LC3s have H - HL - N - LL and LC4 and 5 have H - N - L with a separate switch for the centre diff lock. This means my ideal setup of separate centre diff lock control and a locking rear diff is not possible without turning to the likes of an ARB air locker :(

Thinking about it Ian I might have been mistaken but I seem to remember that when I went for a test drive the CDL light was on and when I got back I moved the H/L lever back and disengaged it. I had a conversation with Trevor at the time as a 120 was a new thing to me.

I dont know if it makes a difference to the H/L selection lever if it has the VSC system fitted ???

I've only started looking at 120s in the past few days, not even considered VSC. As seems the way with 80 specs there are general rules for 120s but lots of exceptions.

View attachment 103473
Here is a pic showing the switch next to the 12V power socket
Hi guys, i have exactly the same thing, COULD YOU PLEASE tell me how to turn on the diff! when i press the button it just flashes on the dashboard. do i have to go in to a L to engage it ? how on earth does it work. I drove in to the woods today and could not get up a steep sandy hill. was not sure how to turn it on. I know once in winter i got it working and it made a clicking noise. plz help lads :) thnx in advance

Just push the button and it should come up solid on the dash. it can be pushed in hi or low. Did you leave the centre diff button on while in the woods? it might just need "using" a bit if it hasn't been used for a while, try switching it on off a couple of times while playing in the woods.

Just push the button and it should come up solid on the dash. it can be pushed in hi or low. Did you leave the centre diff button on while in the woods? it might just need "using" a bit if it hasn't been used for a while, try switching it on off a couple of times while playing in the woods.

Thanks Silver, Thats exactly what ive been doing. Maybe its because i was on uneven surface. Jeez i hope its not broken. Cause all it does is flash, does not stay solid. Does any one maybe have a page from original inatructions which describes the use of that button. Maybe there is a to reset it or something.
Thanks

im in load of shit ! :( just found out that some how i have damaged the actuator assy transfer shift. so thats the reason that once i press the lock diff button it just flashes and does not turn on. the best part is that a new one costs over a grand :/ im screwed

If you have the part number try getting a price from Amayama, there is another couple of companies that also specialize in the supply of parts for Toymotors.

If you have the part number try getting a price from Amayama, there is another couple of companies that also specialize in the supply of parts for Toymotors.

Thank you Julian. It is cheaper on that website. Does any one know any other places where you can purhase original parts?

Hi guys, i have exactly the same thing, COULD YOU PLEASE tell me how to turn on the diff! when i press the button it just flashes on the dashboard. do i have to go in to a L to engage it ? how on earth does it work. I drove in to the woods today and could not get up a steep sandy hill. was not sure how to turn it on. I know once in winter i got it working and it made a clicking noise. plz help lads :) thnx in advance

HI
When you first press the button it does flash for a few seconds then VSC off light comes on then a couple secs diff lock light stays on did you give it time to do it.

Back