Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Centre diff

Gav missin

On a couple of occasions now I've driven into deep sand or mud hole and with all diffs locked up the buried paid off wheels just inch round whilst the other spun . All actuators work. Any ideas guys

The only answer can be that all the actuators aren't working properly.

With center diff lock engaged (CDL) and the axle lockers engaged, all 4 wheels will behave the same, whether turning or skidding, but all will be the same.

One wheel or more, cannot spin with others not, but they can all spin.

I'm told that the axle lockers won't actuate unless the CDL is engaged, so it's good to check the circuits, starting with the CDL.

Any more, I can't advise.

Chris may come along soon with better info and advice.

The only answer can be that all the actuators aren't working properly.

With center diff lock engaged (CDL) and the axle lockers engaged, all 4 wheels will behave the same, whether turning or skidding, but all will be the same.

One wheel or more, cannot spin with others not, but they can all spin.

I'm told that the axle lockers won't actuate unless the CDL is engaged, so it's good to check the circuits, starting with the CDL.

Any more, I can't advise.

Chris may come along soon with better info and advice.
Front and rear definitely locking up . Had cdl actuator off recently. Could it be I've reinstated it wrong. Or maybe a couple of teeth off being fully engaged. I believe I'm correct in thinking the locking wheel in the top of the transfer box should be all the way back to the rear of the car.thanks again

Can't help you on the last bit Gav, I'm not a real mechanic... :lol:

I think your on the right track Gav - either you caught the wheel and went a few teeth out or the motor is not giving full movement.

I dont know the manual procedure but I just set the wheel so it cant turn any more to suit wether the motor was open or closed position (plug it in and watch it move whilst somebody else actuates it). You can take off the gear wheel and just get your finger into the hole to move the shaft into postion as a double check - its clear when the indent hits the ball/spring and is in position.

Have you taken the front prop off to check you are definitely getting a locked transfer or its trying to engage? They are quite chunky dog teeth and tend to grind if not engaging fully.

Although as said above, the CDL needs to be closed to allow the logic relay to actuate rear and front diffs which would suggest the shaft is moving - unless your plunger switch has failed in into closed circuit?

I think your on the right track Gav - either you caught the wheel and went a few teeth out or the motor is not giving full movement.

I dont know the manual procedure but I just set the wheel so it cant turn any more to suit wether the motor was open or closed position (plug it in and watch it move whilst somebody else actuates it). You can take off the gear wheel and just get your finger into the hole to move the shaft into postion as a double check - its clear when the indent hits the ball/spring and is in position.

Have you taken the front prop off to check you are definitely getting a locked transfer or its trying to engage? They are quite chunky dog teeth and tend to grind if not engaging fully.

Although as said above, the CDL needs to be closed to allow the logic relay to actuate rear and front diffs which would suggest the shaft is moving - unless your plunger switch has failed in into closed circuit?
Found the problem tonight Rodger. Cdl actuator just buzzing and not actually engaging diff lock. Changed it and I'm back in business. Thanks for your reply.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back