Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Challenge, Cruiser on the road for under a grand.

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
As one or two on here know, I left a cheeky bid on a Collie I came across in a barn on a farm I visited last year in deepest Lincs. It wasn't what I really wanted at the time and it was before I bought the "Black One" . It was covered in dust with the tyres flat but looked half decent even though it was a petrol one, I was told it ran ok prior to being parked up but there was no battery on it to verify. The mileage also was unknown. A couple of months later I got a call out of the blue saying that my bid was accepted but then there was a question of it being subject to some litigation regarding ownership.
This was sorted out at their end and today I fetched it. It had been stood some years but had been dragged out, washed and the tyres blown up, so it looked a little better than when I last saw it.
Got it loaded onto a truck:-

IMG_0671_zpskoy7thmw.jpg

It was an "only just" fit.
IMG_0673_zps6jrkrhae.jpg

Covered in thick mud underneath but thats a good thing
IMG_0681_zpsn0ak4fxw.jpg

3.4 engineIMG_0684_zpsqafbkygx.jpg

Got back, unloaded and put a battery on to see what contraption I had bought, as I had considered breaking it and using the parts to enhance the "Black One".

First bonus, its done 74K and the engine sounds fantastic, second bonus the back axle is perfect, very solid and the diff lock works, Third bonus, after a quick examination and a planned steam clean underneath the chassis and suspension all look like they will be pretty much factory black and it should test straight away.
Not a bonus, it needs 4 tyres and a missing air con pipe,a vac out but the interior is in good condition, the steering wheel is like brand new.
When its cleaned and tyred up and MOT'd the intention is to use it for a bit, I won't like the fuel economy much but I bet I like the truck.
We'll see how it all pans out.

Sometimes a gamble pays off Andy, this truck looks a beaut, even if it's not what you 'want'.

74k miles is nothing really, you've just bought the equivalent of a 3 year old!

Nice one Andy, you going to do anything to it, lift, wheels etc, or just run it as is

Sometimes a gamble pays off Andy, this truck looks a beaut, even if it's not what you 'want'.

74k miles is nothing really, you've just bought the equivalent of a 3 year old!

Yep Clive, I saw it parked up and couldn't help myself:laughing-rolling: these things have to be saved you know.

Nice one Andy, you going to do anything to it, lift, wheels etc, or just run it as is

When I get it on the road I'll use it as it is. I've found with the "Black One" how things can soon run away from a budget and I am on a tight budget as the title says.

I wouldn't drive it at all , you have already said you don't want a petrol truck so a pro valet and mot then put it up for sale , with 74k on the clock it's as close to new 90 as anyone is gonna get .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I wouldn't drive it at all , you have already said you don't want a petrol truck so a pro valet and mot then put it up for sale , with 74k on the clock it's as close to new 90 as anyone is gonna get .

We'll see Shayne, I quite fancy the smoothness of a petrol, I ran a petrol 80 for a year ( with LPG) a few years back and loved it but it used a terrific ammount of fuel.

Easy choice for me as i don't like petrol 4x4's but i do think the low mileage would make a good selling point . Great find by the way and it will be interesting to hear how it compares to your diesel collie :thumbup:

That looks like a great find. You're certainly living up to your "Cruiser-Guy" name!! :thumbup:

You should get 20-22mpg on a run, so the fuel consumption isn't too bad compared to the 3.0TD, though probably can't touch the 3.0D4D.

AFAIK all UK petrol models are the top "VX" spec autos with all the toys, so you get all the creature comforts as standard. BTW the tyres look like the original Dunlop AT20s !!!

Some guys have all the luck…[emoji4]

That looks like a great find. You're certainly living up to your "Cruiser-Guy" name!! :thumbup:

You should get 20-22mpg on a run, so the fuel consumption isn't too bad compared to the 3.0TD, though probably can't touch the 3.0D4D.

AFAIK all UK petrol models are the top "VX" spec autos with all the toys, so you get all the creature comforts as standard. BTW the tyres look like the original Dunlop AT20s !!!

For some unknown reason its a GX with cloth trim, its got air con and diff lock though, maybe its an import, I'll look for the twin tanks tomorrow. Beggars can't be choosers at £535 final negotiated price.

For some unknown reason its a GX with cloth trim, its got air con and diff lock though, maybe its an import, I'll look for the twin tanks tomorrow. Beggars can't be choosers at £535 final negotiated price.

Thats the equivalent of about 8 weeks diesel supply for me :icon-rolleyes: :lol:

£535 … now you're just rubbing it in aren't you Andy…you can go off some people you know!! [emoji6]

Looks great think you got a bargain

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Nice find there Andy!

Being a challenge cruiser,, I am guessing that you're going to chop the roof off and do some bar work! With the V6 you're already ahead as you don't need to fit a Lexus V8. Looking forward to see it after a couple of hours with the grinder!:lol:

All the best!:thumbup:

Nice find there Andy!

Being a challenge cruiser,, I am guessing that you're going to chop the roof off and do some bar work! With the V6 you're already ahead as you don't need to fit a Lexus V8. Looking forward to see it after a couple of hours with the grinder!:lol:

All the best!:thumbup:

Ha! I think/know you got the wrong end of the "Challenge" stick there Iwan:laughing-rolling:

Thanks for the positives there lads, I know now that I nicked it as it turned out better than it first appeared.Turns out the spare is a brand new Grandtrek so with two new ones the same that came on the "Black One" I only have one more to find.
They must have produced the V6 in GX form cos this is one.

Back