Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Changing power steering fluid.

rekab69

Country Flag
uk
Hi Guys,

Noticed my power steering groans a little louder than I remember.. Checked the fluid level which is fine but it does seem to be a yucky brown colour..

Thought I'd change it..

How is best to remove the old fluid, I have an oil suction kit so plan on using that unless there is another way...

Also after a quick search on the web it's seem only Genuine Toyota fluid is the best to put in.. ??

Also anyone know how much I will require..?

Many thanks in advance,

db.

On my 90 i just unbolted the pipes at the rack a let it drain , I was surprised how little fluid it uses so i unbolted the pipes again letting the new fluid drain washing out whatever was left of the old knowing i had enough left in the bottle to refill . Can't imagine your truck being much different .

As Toyota don't actually make any of their own oils and fluids, I'd suspect that anything off the shelf that at least has the same standard (DOT4, 5 etc) will be fine. These are effectively lorry engines and don't need to run on unicorn tears. I stopped putting Toyota diesel in a long time ago. I know Frank still only uses genuine Toyota air in his tyres though. :icon-biggrin:

I changed mine on the 80 by disconnecting the return pipe to the reservoir and diverting into a plastic container. Then, with the engine started, kept the reservoir filled with new fluid as the pump circulated it until it came out of the return pipe clean. It pumps round at a fair old rate and only takes maybe 20-30 secs to purge the whole system.

Mine has been in there some 20+ years. I really should change it. Maybe a job for this weekend along with the coolant.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not sure if it's the same on LCs, but when changing fluid it helps to have the front wheels off the ground and turn from lock to lock with the engine running to purge any air. ATF Dexron 3 needed I think.

Sorry - apols. I didn't mean that you should put brake fluid in the PS. I can see that looked like what I was saying. DOH. I just couldn't recall the codes / types etc for PS fluid. it's something like Dextron II or III isn't it?

I just meant that it's really nothing special. Just like antifreeze. I don't mean put anti freeze in your PS ...

Oh dear.

Dexron III is the fluid you need. "Power Steering Fluid" is not good. Use only normal ATF. It seems that it has a hard life in the power steering tho', so a synthetic Dexron III ATF is good. Is seems to hold up better without getting that burnt smell.
To change the fluid, just take off the return hose and hold it into a small bucket. Then turn the wheels from right to left and back, while keeping the reservoir filled up, until its all changed out.

Thanks for all your replies guys, so if I'm reading this correctly.. Any other manufactures red anti freeze , keep the front wheels off the ground for ever so i don't actually need power assisted steering.. :)

Wheels back down on the ground now... would old oil or it may even be the wrong oil in there account for a groaning, moaning sound when turning even at speed..?

Did you turn lock to lock a few times after refilling the reservoir to bleed out the air from the steering rack and hoses, then check the level with the engine running?

Any pics of your Quattro? I have been doing a lot of work on a friends SWB sport, it was just under 500hp on the dyno, and is quite fun on the road!

Wheels back down on the ground now... would old oil or it may even be the wrong oil in there account for a groaning, moaning sound when turning even at speed..?
its air in the system. bleed as above.

Did you turn lock to lock a few times after refilling the reservoir to bleed out the air from the steering rack and hoses, then check the level with the engine running?

Any pics of your Quattro? I have been doing a lot of work on a friends SWB sport, it was just under 500hp on the dyno, and is quite fun on the road!
IMG_9108.JPG

500hp...?? That's over double mine makes... :) Owned it over 20 years, never had an accident... Son just passed his test and reverses his Corsa into the side of it.....!!!

Back