Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

changing power steering pump

peedu07

Does anybody have experience with changing the power steering pump on a lc90 3.0td?

is it a complicated job?

is it possible to get the job done without draining the whole system?

thanks in advance!

peedu07 said:
Does anybody have experience with changing the power steering pump on a lc90 3.0td?

is it a complicated job?
Why the whole pump? Change only seals: http://dahn.webcity.com.au/~toy49040/fo ... p?p=197117
peedu07 said:
is it possible to get the job done without draining the whole system?
Why? I think it´s old and bad oil which is caused the failure. So, it´s very good to change the steering oil at least once in 10 years.

well the steering rod was recently repaired for leaks and received new bushes between the frame and the steering rod, so I figure at least MOST (if not all) oil was changed during te repair, but still the pump keeps humming during low rpm or generally during slow manoveurs.

Try bleeding the pump. There is a proper procedure for it, but it basically involves raising the front wheels off the ground and turning lock to lock gently several times with the engine running. You may have air in there. Costs nothing to try it. The seals on the rack actuator tend to go as well. This is where the steering column joins the rack by the front driver's side wheel. PS pump failure is not a common thing on a 90 I have to say.

Chris

tried bleeding it today. did all the procedures as described, slowly and gently. But the hum still remains, especially with a warm engine. When the engine is cold you cant really notice it. The funny thing is that the fluid doesnt actually leak (or it doesnt look so).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back