Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Changing water pump

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
Got to do my timing belt again now I'm about to hit 180K miles. I didn't change the water pump last time and I think general consensus is it's worth doing because you have to take the belt off to do it? Looking at Roughtrax there is a front bit for the existing pump (minus back bit of the casting), or a full pump casting. Blurb says front pump bit is quicker to fit. Any ideas why? I'd have thought I have to unbolt a casting one way or the other, it'll just be a slightly different shape.

Ta

Got to do my timing belt again now I'm about to hit 180K miles. I didn't change the water pump last time and I think general consensus is it's worth doing because you have to take the belt off to do it? Looking at Roughtrax there is a front bit for the existing pump (minus back bit of the casting), or a full pump casting. Blurb says front pump bit is quicker to fit. Any ideas why? I'd have thought I have to unbolt a casting one way or the other, it'll just be a slightly different shape.

Ta
If yours is the two piece type , I am pretty sure you can change the water pump without touching the cam belt or belt cover , I bought the pump only (without the back plate) from Rough trax for about £55 for when its time to change it before I came to live in Cyprus to save on post charges, I asked a Toyota mechanic at a Toyota dealership about fitting one pretending I was going to buy one from them , he told me they only fit the pump itself when the bearing leaks as the backing plate has no problems , he told me to make sure the backing plate is nice and clean before fitting the pump . to fit the two piece or the all in one pump and backing plate you have to remove cambelt etc and the cambelt backing plate to access the bolts of the pump backing plate behind the cambelt backing plate .

Last edited by a moderator:
If yours is the two piece type , I am pretty sure you can change the water pump without touching the cam belt or belt cover , I bought the pump only (without the back plate) from Rough trax for about £55 for when its time to change it before I came to live in Cyprus to save on post charges, I asked a Toyota mechanic at a Toyota dealership about fitting one pretending I was going to buy one from them , he told me they only fit the pump itself when the bearing leaks as the backing plate has no problems , he told me to make sure the backing plate is nice and clean before fitting the pump . to fit the two piece or the all in one pump and backing plate you have to remove cambelt etc and the cambelt backing plate to access the bolts of the pump backing plate behind the cambelt backing plate .

No idea if it's two piece. Not sure how easy it is to tell? I'll have a dig about under the bonnet tomorrow. Thanks.

Back