Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
eggs.jpg

She asked him, 'How much are you selling the eggs for?'
The old seller replied, '$.25 an egg, Ma'am.'
She said to him, 'I will take 6 eggs for $1.25 or I will leave.'
The old seller replied, 'Come take them at the price you want. Maybe, this is a good beginning because I have not been able to sell even a single egg today.'

She took the eggs and walks away feeling she has won. She got into her fancy car and went to a posh restaurant with her friend.
There, she and her friend, ordered anything they fancied. They ate a little and left a lot of what they ordered.
Then she went to pay the bill. The bill cost her $45.00 She gave $50.00 and told the owner of the restaurant to keep the change.

The point of this is,
Why do we have to show we have the power when we buy from the needy ones? And why do we get generous to those who do not even need it?

I once read somewhere:

'My father used to buy simple goods from poor people at high prices, even if he didn't need them. Sometimes he would pay extra for them. I was interested by this act and asked him why did he do it?
And my father replied, "It is a charity wrapped with dignity, my child”

Last edited:
We have an old guy visit us every weekend, I call him the “egg man” and he sells the eggs his hens lay at 0.70 lei/ egg.

10 eggs, 7 lei, that’s about £1.30.

I’ve never got change in my wallet so I always give him a 10 lei note.

He’d been coming to our house for months before I realised he lives at the bottom of our hill. It’s a hell of a steep climb and 3 km walk each way for him :?

It just goes to show how hard some people have to graft just to make a few bob. He’d sell none if he didn’t come door to door.

I also found out he has only 20 chickens, 10 eggs is the average total daily production from his enterprise.

We have an old guy visit us every weekend, I call him the “egg man” and he sells the eggs his hens lay at 0.70 lei/ egg.

10 eggs, 7 lei, that’s about £1.30.

I’ve never got change in my wallet so I always give him a 10 lei note.

He’d been coming to our house for months before I realised he lives at the bottom of our hill. It’s a hell of a steep climb and 3 km walk each way for him :?

It just goes to show how hard some people have to graft just to make a few bob. He’d sell none if he didn’t come door to door.

I also found out he has only 20 chickens, 10 eggs is the average total daily production from his enterprise.
Your a nice guy

View attachment 145690

The old seller replied, 'Come take them at the price you want. Maybe, this is a good beginning because I have not been able to sell even a single egg today.'

She took the eggs and walked away feeling she has won. She got into her fancy car and went to a posh restaurant with her friend.
There, she and her friend, ordered anything they fancied. They ate a little and left a lot of what they ordered.
Then she went to pay the bill. The bill cost her $45.00 She gave $50.00 and told the owner of the restaurant to keep the change.

The point of this is,
Why do we have to show we have the power when we buy from the needy ones? And why do we get generous to those who do not even need it?

I once read somewhere:

'My father used to buy simple goods from poor people at high prices, even if he didn't need them. Sometimes he would pay extra for them. I was interested by this act and asked him why did he do it?
The woman likes to pretend she is somebody and doesn't realise she should have done the deals the other way round , I never tip businesses they already have enough, unless they are small and they sell me things cheaper than I thought I was going to have to pay .

Bloody hell, that is a long climb, especially if you're getting on in years. I do remember you mentioning the 'Egg Man' on a previous visit Clive.

View attachment 145690

I once read somewhere:

Done that many times, people selling cleaning stuff out of a case door to door etc. Always willing to help those who try to help themselves.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Done that many times, people selling cleaning stuff out of a case door to door etc. Always willing to help those her try to help themselves.

We used to have a guy come to the door regularly in Birmingham in the 60’s, selling “Betterware” products, anyone remember the “Betterware Man”?

View attachment 145690

She took the eggs and walked away feeling she has won. She got into her fancy car and went to a posh restaurant with her friend.

The point of this is,

I once read somewhere:

Once or twice a year - a proper old school tramp would call, pushing a pram with his wares [rural Norfolk, 1970's] my Mum would give him a cup of tea and examine the lace, ribbons and buttons he was selling, she'd make a big show of how she needed this and that, pay way over the odds and tell him to call again........................... one year at parents day having sat with me and seen my work she realised my mate Nicky's mum wasn't going to show - she moved over and sat with him and went through his work with him - such grace charity and dignity................... I could go on.

Guys we have poorer people mostly from turkey roaming the streets sometimes but you only notice them when they approach you suddenly.

This happens many a time for me and yet they kinda sell small beads or lighters etc. Not much interest to me so I always give them the money and leave the items with them.

I don’t look down at them but appreciate them and their struggles being a constant reminder of gratitude.

Like in all examples of giving by the heart pays back in dividends in so many ways so I have adopted paying it forward.

Thank you for this heart base topic.

I do that in Romania Dervis when they try to sell me picked berries i dont want but i am aware it offends them that i won't accept anything in return , sadly i don't have the lingo to explain that's exactly why i don't mind giving .

In Britain its more likely to be a drug addict living on the streets who will ask "any chance of a cig" i will reply along the lines of why should i give you one and more often than not they will reply with resignation "you probably shouldn't" , so i will will sit with them for a smoke asking what the hell are you doing here .

Each has a story to tell and recovers a little dignity in the telling of it . I won't give them money but there's always a fast food place nearby if they care to join me for a meal .

Always liked this Allen Toussaint song:

Last edited:
Back