Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Chas' HMS Phoenix

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
As most active members will know, Chas' HDJ80, affectionately known as the Phoenix, was officially renamed HMS Phoenix after some nautical antics in Romania in 2016, requiring an auto gearbox rebuild, at significant expense, as I understand it.
Anyhoo, it thrived on the attention and sure enough, arrived in Romania with the others in the LC Club 2017 excursion here, displaying its "certain patina" as it's been (again affectionately) dubbed, that is to say that it's former rich and shiny red lustre had given way to the status of every panel on the beast being dented to various degrees, battle-scars, scratches and the like.

For this reason, Chas decided it needed a facelift, and on my suggestion, Chas stayed back when the U.K. posse left at the beginning of September, and HMS Phoenix went into dry-dock for its (second?) reincarnation.

It emerged on Friday looking very handsome in its new livery of "NATO Dark Olive" matt green.

Feast your eyes on the evidence...

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

Every panel original and straightened, even the tailgate, which looks impossibly pristine considering it was creased and gouged beyond recognition, when it went into the workshop.

The transformation is nothing short of miraculous, IMO, job well done thanks to skills and patience of Dan at the "Perfect Paint" body shop in Bucharest. Later, I'll try to gather some "before" pics, just to show the comparisons.

So the plan was to drive it up to our house in Comarnic, and to refit the rack and RTT, spare wheel and gubbins, and wave Chas off on his journey back to the U.K.

Sadly, not to be.

On the way up the twisty windy hill 500m from our place, Chas failed to negotiate a left-hand bend, put two wheels into the RHS ditch, hit a tree stump in the ditch, and bounced out again.

Not a pretty sight...

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

Surprisingly, the only panels that suffered were the drivers' side wing, and the bonnet.

The wing is dented in front of the snorkel, but worse still, badly mutilated in the area around the side light, the hardest part for any repairer.

The bonnet is damaged on the front lip, and the stiffeners under the main panel are deformed in the middle, giving it a humped shape.

The passenger side headlamp glass is smashed, and the drivers' side side-light has disintegrated.

Luckily, I have a full set of all 4 lights (LHD though) so at least they can be fitted to get him home. After that, he'll have to source suitable RHD headlamps.

Dan has kindly offered to hold his current workload for next week, and give Chas priority next week to see if he can get HMS Phoenix back into its rightful shape, once again.

Needless to say, were both gutted by the event, and Chas is pretty much in a state of despair and disappointment today, please go easy on him guys...

To be continued...

Oh Chas, gutted for you, it looked so good about 4 inches up my phone screen!!
There must have been easier ways to admit your addiction to clives cooking but at leadt you can enjoy it for another week.

Reading through and admiring the Spended restoration became utter shock seeing this incident unfold. So unfortunate truly sorry my heart goes out you both Chas / Clive.

Had a few incidents of my own over the years learnt to be so grateful not being worse.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry to see your incident Chas. I went through pretty much the same scenario when I finished rebuilding and painting my 60. I reversed into a pallet of bricks and it completely dented the passenger side rear quarter panel! I drove the 60 home on the Saturday and went to move it on Monday morning and it happened! I know exactly how this feels and you're not on your own at all!

All will be fine mate!:thumbup:

Sorry to see your incident Chas. I went through pretty much the same scenario when I finished rebuilding and painting my 60. I reversed into a pallet of bricks and it completely dented the passenger side rear quarter panel! I drove the 60 home on the Saturday and went to move it on Monday morning and it happened! I know exactly how this feels and you're not on your own at all!

All will be fine mate!:thumbup:

Iwan, you've just reminded me that 2 days after my res pray, I drove into the back of an old collector type Mercedes, from the late 60's.

Did a load of damage, bending the boot floor panel not to mention a kink in the roof!

And I put a small scratch on my bull-bar

Haha Clive, last summer I was driving my 80 back home with a heavy 14ft trailer behind and unfortunately was "farming when driving!" And hit a land rover 90! Wow they are soft on the front! I remember I was really annoyed that I cracked my number plate! (same bumper as Chas') Of course I paid to repair for the land rover!:lol:

Look's ace Chas :thumbup:

It's a crying shame you bumped a bit that has to be fixed because to my mind a military green truck can wear it's scars with pride .

We need them before pics because the Phoenix is solid proof that miracles do happen .

I wasn't expecting that!

Looks well chas and will again.

you'll be fluent in romanian by time you make it back to england..

These are mostly the initial work-in-progress photos...

IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0050.JPG

Chas, this sort of thing just builds character....:)

D'oh :doh:

Well Chas, what can I say? Firstly I've got to congratulate Dan and his team on a superb job, that's really amazing, but I also must say that you got a really good choice of colour there Chas, it looks really good. Looked I mean…oh dear!

These cursed bends, they creep up and leap out at you, you know!! So any idea what caused it, swerving to avoid a small child chasing a ball maybe? That sort of thing?

Chas, this sort of thing just builds character....:)
The thing is LC, Chas has just had rather a lot of that 'character' removed from his truck! :?

Last edited:
Love the Matt green Chas looks amazing.

They did one he'll of a job on yhat. Those boys certainly worked very hard o your cruiser.

Hats off

D'oh :doh:

Well Chas, what can I say? Firstly I've got to congratulate Dan and his team on a superb job, that's really amazing, but I also must say that you got a ritally good choice of colour there Chas, it looks really good. Looked I mean…oh dear!

These cursed bends, they creep up and leap out at you, you know!! So any idea what caused it, swerving to avoid a small child chasing a ball maybe? That sort of thing?
This was the dark mostly unlit lane leading up to Clives house that has those shallow drainage ditches either sideof the 'road' and I strayed to close going round a bend Off side front wheel slipped in traveled along it a bit then the winch bar hit a stump that bounced me out

Last edited:
Chas - thats a real shame........its what Dawn did 3 years ago in ours, but did 8k worth of damage/repairs......took the left hand side out with a concrete pylon after jumping out the ditch.......
Looked great in the green though :)

Back