Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cheap copy snorkels, worth it?

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
Just doing the shopping for a snorkel and came across these two:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Snorkel-...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c29b8c2b7

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337ca2ddf3

As you can see the price difference is quite big and it even looks like a photoshopped picture for the cheap one.

I know some were looking at some cheap copies recently, were they any good? Would not be surprised if they are one and the same from the same factory just with or without a brand name.

I recently fitted a copy - but it had no instructions with it! The only instruction was to cut and drill to the template provided. Some very kind person scanned in the safari instructions which were excellent and although not quite the same, made the job so much easier.

Steve

Last edited:
Mine is a copy of the Safari.
Even had the Safari template in the box.
I also wouldn't be surprised if they were the same, just with or without "Safari" molded on the sides.
Consider a copy is priced at 10% of the so called genuine article, makes you wonder.

Gra.

I don't know what the differences in materials are, but the cheaper ones don't seem to have a separate grill on the head part.
Safari has.

I'm more than happy with my cheapo version.

Last edited:
As a snorkel is essentially an insurance policy to protect your engine, why would you buy an untested product? If you want peace of mind then get a safari snorkel. There will be differences in these products, mainly in tooling and materials which may make all the difference between a new engine or not. What happens if a hidden fatigue crack develops on the cheaper snorkel caused by corrugations because it was not tested properly and you attempt a river crossing? You will be kicking yourself.

We all know that these snorkels cost next to nothing to produce, but what you are paying for here is knowledge that the product will work due to extensive testing.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ordered the cheap one, for 100 bucks its worth it just investigate even if it turns out to be crap.

We all know that these snorkels cost next to nothing to produce, but what you are paying for here is knowledge that the product will work due to extensive testing.
Hi Rob,
I am not sure about that.

I would say you are paying for the "Safari" logo on the side, nothing more.
Pound to a pinch of shit, they are all made in China, do you think Safari are so stupid, not to get their snorkels made in a labour cheap country?
They need to minimise their manufacturing costs, to maximise profit.
Half are molded with "Safari" and the other half are not.
How much technology do you think there is to copy?
How difficult do you think it is to formulate the same "Safari" compound?

Almost all the snorkels, will cost me between £17.00 and £19.00 here in China, before any bargaining starts.
I almost feel an assortment of 100 snorkels would be as cheap as £15.00 each.
Shipping is another cost, as is import tax, etc.

Gra.

I'm with Roger here. If you want a snorkel for use in the uk where if we are honest its more of a fashion statement than a necessity for most people then a copy will be fine. If you want one for overland work or use in conditions of extreme water/mud then I would buy the real thing.
The real Safari snorkel is engineered and developed by rigorous testing to do a job and do it reliably.
China has a reputation for producing inferior knockoff goods. The quality of these is unknown when you buy one. Some will be fine and some will not. The problem is you don't know which are OK and which are not.
The materials used may be thinner, they may be more brittle. Dimensions may be different. A Safari snorkel has the reputation of the brand behind it. A reputation earned through producing quality goods. A unnamed one has no such reputation and no way of you knowing who actually made it. You effectively have no comeback on the original manufacturer and they know that.

As for the comment about Safari being so stupid as to not have the originals made in China in order to minimise cost if I were in charge of Safari I would want close scrutiny of my manufacturing quality so would be more inclined to make them locally.

I'm with Roger here.
Roger? I think you mean Rob ;)

Graham, it does not matter where Safari choose to make their snorkels (and I agree with you, it probably is in China). I trust Safari to have adequate quality control measures in place to ensure the product functions as it should because they have an incentive to protect their brand name. Look at Apple, they make their products in China and in terms of hardware their products are regarded as best made/highest quality on the market. What is stopping the unbranded copy manufacturer just grabbing any old black resin and moulding with that? Nothing, as they do not have an incentive to make quality products because the product is unbranded and therefore immune from customer complaints/returns. In fact the incentive for the copy manufacturers is to make them as cheaply as possible so long as they look the same.

Regarding the tooling, I have personally looked at copies and Safari snorkels and the copy was not made in the same tool with just an insert to cover up the logo. If you can show me a picture of the flashing caused by the insert on the copy then there is nothing much to worry about as it will most probably be made in the same factory, but you will only find out after close inspection of the copy. As it is likely the tooling is different then the questions is, did they know what the critical functional parameters are when making the tool? Did they know what material the original was made from? This can mean the difference between a product the functions correctly or not.

There are far too many unknowns for a product that is designed to protect your engine. I am not saying that it is not possible to find a good quality made copy snorkel but the question is how are you meant to tell the difference? By testing it on your engine? If you are buying a snorkel just for looks then I see no reason to buy the Safari one, but if you intend to use it for its intended purpose then get a branded one. If you want a cheaper snorkel how about Ironman?

And there is also the issue of intellectual property, by buying the copies you are supporting someone who has most probably stolen intellectual property. I do not know if there is any protected intellectual property on the Safari products, but if you were in Safari's position and spent time and money developing a product I'm sure you would have something to say on this matter.

One final point, every broken snorkel I have seen or heard about was not a Safari snorkel. In fact I have heard it is almost impossible to crack a safari snorkel by people who have tried very hard to do so.

Last edited:
I rolled one of my previous 4x4's in a road accident.

The vehicle landed on the genuine safari snorkel (on tarmac) 3 times.

After this the snorkel was merely a bit scratched! :clap:

accident003_zps1892f174.jpg

From what I've seen the genuine snorkels are definitely stronger. :icon-biggrin:

IMG_3404.jpg

Like Rob said Ironman snorkels are a cheaper alternative. I think mine was about £120. :icon-wink:

Hi Paul,

If you need a raised air intake to stop the engine sucking in dust, then I see no problem with the cheaper one.

If you are looking at a snorkel for wading, go for the best quality.

I have seen 4x4's wading using welded tube ( I think the marines use landies in this way) where all you see is the tube (and hopefully a head!) above the water. This does show that you dont need to buy a 'brand' name, but the owner will have invested their own time and effort in materials, welding, sealing etc. By buying the 'brand' name with the reputation, you are paying for the manufacturer to do all that stuff.

No way has the cheaper manufacturer done anything other than 'knock off' the pattern, price is low due to no research, cheap materials etc.

I have 3 unused quad bikes in my basement, £350.00 chinese copies of a Jap quad. Lads used them once each, we fixed the broken bits then put them away, not worth the repair time to use them again. An example - the bolts are nice and shiny silver, and have 8.8 stamped on the head, but appear to be made of toffee!

There seem to be two manufacturing styles in China, the cheap mass market knock-off which we love so much, and the actual decent quality which we dont see (well, we do, but its branded as Japanese ie tellies!) such as the engineering feats that Graham posts.

Back to the original post though, decide what you need and pay accordingly.

Cheers

Pete

I like my copy.
It is seriously thick walled, I shall dig out a picture of the wall thickness.
Land Cruiser 1.jpg
Gra.

10mm plasterboard is thicker than 5mm steel but I know which is more resistant to impact....

I know you're and others are happy with their copies and thats great but personally I would prefer the genuine item. Its all about what you are prepared to accept and your finances will allow.

Unfitted snorkel (3).jpg
I think the outside vulnerable part of the snorkel is about 5-6mm thick.
Unfitted snorkel (5).jpg
Of course, there are 1001 makers of snorkels, I was just hitting on one of the good ones.
For every good one, I am sure there are way more bad ones.

Gra.

Back