Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cheap daylight running lights.

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys
My other rant for Christmas is I bought a set of seqential day time running lights from ebay.
If anyone has seen these lights they will no that it only has 3 wires.
Red=battery
Black=battery
Yellow=turning signal.
Easy to understand so wired up as stated and work correctly.
My problem is they don't turn off with the ignition even after 3 minutes.
so is this because I have 2 batteries or can the item be faulty.
I have tries to use a direct feed from the fuse box via 10a stereo fuse and black to battery but still didn't work.

Screenshot_20191221_144203_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Tony, electrics aren't my strong point however it would be easier to help if you gave a few more details, specifically what have you hooked the positive up to? Presumably your ignition live? Being daytime running lights they should be come on when the ignition is on, but should turn off when your lights come on, so will need, I assume,2 relays - the first to turn them on with the ignition, the second to turn them off when the lights come on.

Is this what it said in the instructions?

Hi Tony, electrics aren't my strong point however it would be easier to help if you gave a few more details, specifically what have you hooked the positive up to? Presumably your ignition live? Being daytime running lights they should be come on when the ignition is on, but should turn off when your lights come on, so will need, I assume,2 relays - the first to turn them on with the ignition, the second to turn them off when the lights come on.

6th

Uj

Hello nick and thanks for your reply.

They are not drl lights that get wired to your side lights and dim when headlights are switched on.
They have 3 wires as I said so easy install just don't turn of.

I piggy backed fuse number 6 and put the negative to the negative terminal on my auxiliary battery.
Simply install.
Instructions say red to positive and black to negative and yellow to indicator. The pictures show my fuse location but why it didn't work I don't know.

Screenshot_20191221_171930_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191221_172106_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191221_172150_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Uj

Hello nick and thanks for your reply.

They are not drl lights that get wired to your side lights and dim when headlights are switched on.
They have 3 wires as I said so easy install just don't turn of.

I piggy backed fuse number 6 and put the negative to the negative terminal on my auxiliary battery.
Simply install.
Instructions say red to positive and black to negative and yellow to indicator. The pictures show my fuse location but why it didn't work

Hi Tony,

I don't think that it is necessarily a simple install, nor that it is just a case of red to positive. It depends which positive circuit you hook into because not all circuits are the same.

I guess the first question is what do you actually intend to use these lights for, and when do you want them to come on? Presumably they are not directional so if you have them on when it is dark they will blind other drivers. If you want them on only during the daytime as DRL's then they need to be wired either with a dedicated switch, or with a relay on the headlight circuit to turn them off at night. Worth checking what the regs say on this one.

It sounds like from the above that you hooked this up to the heated door mirror circuit??? Is there a reason you choose this circuit?

Like I say there are many more people on here with far greater electrical knowledge than me, and I want to be careful not to give you bad advise or a bum steer, so i'm not going to tell you specifically what to do. Hopefully someone else will jump in at this point. Just some food for thought tho.

Good luck

Hi Tony
First I am a bit confused you buy some Daytime Running Lights and try to fit and wire and thn state to Nick they are not "They are not drl lights that get wired to your side lights and dim when headlights are switched on.
They have 3 wires as I said so easy install just don't turn of."
But as Nick says by law for use for use on the roads in the uk DRL's have to either turn off or at least dim as they would dazzle on coming drivers.
The best solution is to have them coming with IGN but when you put the headlights on they off and this could be done with a single five pin relay

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
One other thought Tony is to check the size of the wires on the DRL's. If they are 0.5mm then running them from a 10a fuse is getting a bit close to the 11a rating of the wire, which for me is cutting it too close. A minor defect in the wire and a short somewhere and they could set fire to the engine bay, which unfortunately can and does happen.

One other thought Tony is to check the size of the wires on the DRL's. If they are 0.5mm then running them from a 10a fuse is getting a bit close to the 11a rating of the wire, which for me is cutting it too close. A minor defect in the wire and a short somewhere and they could set fire to the engine bay, which unfortunately can and does happen.

Thanks for your info nick and to be honest it was a spare of the moment buy just cos I seen them on you tube.
I feel they are to much effort for what I paid for them and just had to try them.
I am installing proper drl lights with the correct harness and dimmer function attached and just plug and play with instructions..
Just waiting for final part to arrive and fitting in the void next to my fog lights.
Will take some pics and send you them when I finally get them fitted it's my own install but with correct harness for safety.

Thanks nick.

Back