Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Checking diff actuator

Umar

Country Flag
uk
Hi guys I've read that these can sometimes go wrong how do I go about checking ?

Turn the dial and see if your diff locks?

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to 4x4's but currently on the lookout for a landcruiser been told that the actuators rust so wanted to know how to check this

Well without wishing to repeat myself, try engaging the diff lock. If it locks then you don't have much of an issue. It's a pretty good place to start don't you think?

On the 90 series, push the small lever next to the gear shift / selector forward across to the right and then forward again to select low range then turn the dial by your left knee to RR. That engages the rear locker. You should get two lights come on the dash. One for centre locker and one for the rear locker. If the rear one flashes then the locker isn't engaged. Drive about a bit turning the wheels and see if it locks. All of this is covered on here if you try the search function. If there is a handbook with the vehicle it's all covered in there too. They can be stiff if not used so it not locking doesn't mean 100% that it doesn't work. But it the light goes solid then it's locked.

Back