Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Checking transmission and transfer box fluids levels

LegoCruiser

Supporter
Country Flag
sweden
So I wanted to check that the transmission and transfer boxes had enough oil in them but found both filler caps were joined together with some hosing. I’ve never seen that before (limited experience!) nor is it shown that way in Haynes. I assume the hose allows fluid from the two boxes to mix together perhaps to keep levels up in both. But it makes unscrewing them impossible as the hose twists up. I’ll probably end up cutting and replacing the hose but is this set up something a bush mechanic would come up with or is it actually a great idea? 43184BBC-44C9-4968-A5DB-45CE4058756A.jpeg

Many thanks! I don’t really like the idea of it so will cut and block both ends off. Check fluid levels and then replace with factory setup once I get hold of the plugs.
cheers

If the seal between the gearbox and transfer is worn then the gearbox oil will go into the transfer. So the connecting pipe is fitted to let the oil back into the gearbox.

The other way is to take the transfer off the gearbox and replace the seal at the end of the box.

The pipe is a good thing as it makes sure that the gearbox isn't low on oil.

Right I see - though presumably it’s better to have a good seal? Is removing the transfer box s major job?

Back