Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Chris.

Damn.
What to say that hasn’t been said …
I too kept looking and hoping not to find this thread, and now finding it I feel like I’ve lost a family member. Maybe that’s it, this forum is one big family and now ‘Great Uncle Landcruiser’ is no more. I’ll miss his wit, his help and advice, his presence both physical and virtual. His skill and knowledge.
It was hard to believe how unwell he was at The Stratton Arms until he just got up and drove to a hotel. Chris… in a Hotel. I think it hit home at that point. I can only hope he didn’t suffer too much and the cloud he’s sitting on has a nice shiny cruiser on it.
Goodbye big fella. You left your mark on us all. And what a great legacy you leave in the knowledge on this forum.

Thoughts with Claire and family.
Rich & Lynn

I too will have a whiskey tonight and will raise the glass to Chris. RIP Chris.

Last edited:
Like Richard, what more can be said hearing this dreadful news.
I only met Chris once, and he was everything my mind had conjured up from reading his posts and the many PMs we exchanged.
A mountain of a man, in thought and deed, always there to advise and to do.
Deeply saddened by this news, even though I thought I was prepared for it.
Rest easy Chris, there’s a single malt somewhere in my cupboard, waiting for a quiet moment ... to share with you. God bless you mate, thank you for being you, and sincere condolences to Claire, your family and all who knew you.

Last edited:
RIP Chris. Condolences to his family and the Landcruiser family

Gobsmacked. I thought it was one of Chris's jokes when I saw the thread 'Chris's Funeral'. Not been on for a while, but hoping there's a gotcha moment to this.. Such an irreplaceable kingpin of the forum and I hope his eventual successor may exert the same tolerance for stupidity that Chris had for us lesser beings.. Condolences to his family.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well I haven’t been on the site for quite some time and logged in tonight to be shocked by this, had the pleasure of meeting Chris a good few years ago and spoke on the phone many times
RIP big fella

I manage to get on here so rarely these days. I couldn't believe my eyes when I found this post.

I didn't know Chris in the real world but he was one of the first to welcome me here, warmly, when I fist arrived many years ago. Even if I'd be a little intimidated by his community standing, I always felt he would be there to support me if I ever needed it - even though I was a complete stranger and my question would be daft in comparison to his experience and expertise.

He was/is not the only one of course - and that kind of generosity is not so rare here - but I think most would agree that "let's see what Chris has to say" was a common thought or comment when things got tricky. Communities like this make a real difference. People like Chris make communities like this.

To all of you who had the opportunity to know Chris in the real world, especially his family and friends, I offer my belated condolences.

I am just one random anonymous stranger in the world that has been positively affected by Chris' actions and his willingness to generously share his time and knowledge.

I am not alone. The list of anonymous strangers he will make laugh, get out of a tricky situation or teach something to, will continue to grow because of his efforts here.

Tonight I will raise a glass.

Thank you Chris.

Back