Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clamptite tool

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Dunno how many of you have seen the Clamptite tool (other tools are available) that tensions wire round things like hoses and axe handles. It's a handy thing to have on a trip. Lots of vids out there on hose wire tensioning things. But the clamptite isn't easily available in the UK well not without a mortgage worth of postage from the US.

https://clamptitetools.com/

So yes, you guessed it. I thought I'd make one. And whaddya know. It works. I've polished it up and painted it now so it looks quite smart. I hardened the tip too hence the colour you can see.

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 23.41.33.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 23.41.43.jpg

Nicely done Chris. How does it work?

pretty impressive Chris. - You'll be getting orders soon....

Excuse my ignorance, but what advantage does it have over, say, a jubilee clip? Where would you use it?

Well it's infinitely adjustable so you only carry the wire and the tool. It's much tighter than a jubilee clip too. You can double or even triple wrap the wire. It's useful for mending things from tent poles to anti roll bars I guess. So it's applicable in a very wide range of situations.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yep good point. 1 roll of wire and 1 tool v loads of different sized jubilee clips. I like the idea of using a wire coat hanger in an emergency....

Just my thoughts too Richard :think:

The link Chris thankfully showed this video

Thanks Dervis I hadn’t got to the link. Yes I can see that’s a very useful tool. I hadn’t realised it had a groove on its nose. Presumably stainless wire or galvanised wire is needed.

Thanks Dervis I hadn’t got to the link. Yes I can see that’s a very useful tool. I hadn’t realised it had a groove on its nose. Presumably stainless wire or galvanised wire is needed.

Steel wire hangers are usually galvanized or zinc coated, but they are very soft mild steel.
Maybe they’re tough enough for most jobs though, but only trial and error would confirm that in a use situation, IMO especially in an anti-roll bar bush-repair scenario :lol:

In an emergency you can use what ever you have to hand as long as it's 'kinkable' Electrical wire isn't really suitable but pull off some old fence wire and you're in business.

Interesting tool Chris, my father had a tool that was basically a hook on the end of a handle, you then had lenghts of wire that had a loop in each end. Pass the wire around whatever and pass the hook through the two loops, now just pull, the hook and handle had a fine thread, this twisted the wire tight and snapped when 'x' tension was met.

I doubt jubilee clips would be as strong as your gadget Chris, but when out and about in the 80, I carry a 'roll' of jubilee track, and clips, I can then create a custom sized jubilee clip from say small finger size up to about a metre in diameter.

Saves carrying muliple sizes......you just know you will need a size you don't have! This is similiar to the spanish version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAKE-CLAMP-JUBILEE-CLAMPS-METAL/dp/B00NK8NL50

Sorry for the thread jack Chris. :icon-wink:

Regards

Dave

Well, there are Jubilee clips and there are Jubilee clips. I’ve found the genuine Jubilee clips to be very good quality. Some of the cheaper copies are as soft as shite. The advantages of the Clamptite tool and Chris’s copy are obvious although I’ve never seen one before! Would make a good and useful addition to the toolbox just for use round the house and garden IMO, even if you’re not into overlanding/wild camping etc.

Agree TP, this offering is of a pretty good quality though.

I did not know what the twisty wire thing was for Chris, my father was a maintenance fitter on oil feed boilers, so it was used in a factory setting that made paint dyes so.......?

Regards

Dave

Ah, I knew someone had asked me what it was!

Looks like a good design.
Whats the significance of the 2nd pic with the chain around the wooden handle?

Looks like a good design.
Whats the significance of the 2nd pic with the chain around the wooden handle?
That’s what the tool does. It makes pipe clamps from wire and the pic is an illustration of such.

Back