Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cleaned out my K&N filter...

diggerdave

... I'll try not to leave it as long next time :scared-eek:

20190916_124301.jpg

I only bought the k&n cleaner/oil kit once , decided it aint nothing fancy so now i wash the filter in hot water and degreaser , dry it then wet it with 2-stroke oil

I only bought the k&n cleaner/oil kit once , decided it aint nothing fancy so now i wash the filter in hot water and degreaser , dry it then wet it with 2-stroke oil
As long as its cleaned and oiled its good to go , if not it will get clogged up with dust that wont come out with a tap and shake , when I got my k&n I bought a US gallon each of k&n oil and cleaner ,will last the lifetime of the car and it was not much more than the small charger bottles .

Do you guys rate k and n? I've always gone with cheap paper and replace regularly.
They are supposed to help the engine breathe in air easier and even add a tiny bit more power and torque , but the reason I got one is , no need to ever buy a air filter again I just clean it at home and refit it , but I do have a spare paper air filter (the one that was in the LC when I bought it) that I put in whilst waiting for the k&n to dry and then oiled after I wash it so the car is not out of use , between washing it drying it out and oiling it and letting wick to the filter fibres which takes 24 hours , I know it could be used sooner but I leave it that long before putting it back in , the Toyota (denso ) made filter was about the same price (£34) as the k&n so makes a good saving over long use and I plan on keeping my LC for a long long time . in sunny Cyprus not much rain its a lot more dusty so air filters need to be changed around every 10k miles .

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Memory is vague now but i think i went to K&N whilst on my quest for more power , i needed it maybe ? , i probably mentioned it in here somewhere https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/elecronic-diesel-tuning-devices.137797/

It's been to Romania 3 times and being that i usually take the back door of the convoy some days dust gets so thick i have no choice but to stop and wait because i'm blinded by it . On every trip i've taken the filter out to tap some dust out but i've never seen any evidence that dust gets through it .

On a side note i always put a seal of grease top and bottom on the filter so it has an airtight seal with the housing .

Might be worth spending some time reading filter reviews such as this one

https://www.project200.com.au/filter-testing/

Filters like the K&N achieve better airflow by being more porous than the standard paper filter. Ie letting more into the engine. The oil goes someway remove and filter fine dust particles but performance deteriorates over time.

Most test show that paper filters outperform oil cotton and foam in filtration capability. For mostly road use and muddy U.K. conditions it’s probably not an issue but I’m not sure I’d run anything other than paper in dusty conditions and regularly clean and replace at 5k miles

Thanks - some good advice here. I assumed that a good run under the hosepipe with a bit of toothbrush action would be enough... rethink needed maybe.

I once saw a basic paper filter (on a Defender) disintegrate into soggy bits following a river crossing and so I've always felt that I'd rather have something more durable (KN/foam). Sure, I've got a snorkle and it's well sealed with silicon but so was the Defender's (supposedly anyway).

I think it’ll be fine in the U.K. if you keep it cleaned and oiled

Waters not so much an issue for my use but dust is. We had these conditions last week for several hour on one of the old Dakar routes and 50 degree temps

D7520108-673D-4562-BA21-837C935AE7DF.jpeg

Might be worth spending some time reading filter reviews such as this one

https://www.project200.com.au/filter-testing/

Filters like the K&N achieve better airflow by being more porous than the standard paper filter. Ie letting more into the engine. The oil goes someway remove and filter fine dust particles but performance deteriorates over time.

Most test show that paper filters outperform oil cotton and foam in filtration capability. For mostly road use and muddy U.K. conditions it’s probably not an issue but I’m not sure I’d run anything other than paper in dusty conditions and regularly clean and replace at 5k miles
I have read many story's of dust on the top side of the air box lid and filter on cars , I always check mine when inspecting the filter I never see any and check for dust with a piece of kitchen roll paper and its always spotless , the sq panel k&n filter I have as a thicker seal frame and much softer feel to it than a paper one so probably seals much better , but then again I mostly drive on tarmac apart from the odd large gravel car-park , one thing I notice is on the lc120 the air box is fed air from the drivers side wheel arch , which is a lot cleaner part of the road then the passenger side that is alot dirtier because dirt/dust accumulates at the curb edge or land edge , the wind /rain or even car wheels push the dirt to the passenger side edge because the roads are bevelled that way for rain water , small stone chips , and dirt to channel away quicker to rid the road of water and dirt , so it could be a big difference on what side the air is picked up to feed through the air filter .

I think in the 20 year span of having my truck in the family, we've changed the filter 3 times, with Milners one. At least once or twice a year I'll remove them and blow some air through them, seem fine.

One of the things I was taught as a diesel apprentice was to never blow out a air filter unless it was desperately needed and then to change it asap, reason was as the paper element worked at stopping dust etc it would get clogged, blowing it out would leave the "holes" in the element larger and therefore less likely to stop "dust" and thus the engine would not be getting clean air and would be susceptible to damage.
Please keep in mind the workshop was based in Zeerust South Africa and most of the trucks were therefore working in very dusty conditions, most of them in Botswana.

Blowing out the filter is detailed in the Toyota FSM. Here almost every time a mechanic opens a bonnet the filter is cleaned with air.

Blow from the inside out then you cannot force dirt further into the filter or damage the element

Back