Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clicking from rear wheels?

CANEX

Country Flag
england
I've noticed a 'clicking' from the rear wheels (louder from the nearside I think) when I'm driving up to 20 MPH.
Anyone any ideas what it could be? It's at the garage at the moment but they can't find anything obvious.
It sounds a bit like when the front CV is going on full lock.

cheers
Chris

Look for a stone (or something else...) in between the disc & the dust cover.

I had a tinkling noise for ages once & eventually spotted one of the pads had fallen out of the caliper & was trapped in there!!! No detriment to braking was noticeable & it got passed a garage inspection too!!!

I was thinking that ...

With rear drum brakes I've also had it from a collapsed wheel bearing.

I'm afraid that's what it might be - but I'm not sure how to check apart from pulling it all apart?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Look for a stone (or something else...) in between the disc & the dust cover.

I had a tinkling noise for ages once & eventually spotted one of the pads had fallen out of the caliper & was trapped in there!!! No detriment to braking was noticeable & it got passed a garage inspection too!!!

I've just got it back from the garage and they can't find anything wrong? They said take it back if it gets worse :wtf:

Im not sure if its the same setup as the colorado back axle. Have you/someone had the rear break disc/drum off recently? im not sure what the correct name for the part is but you have some clips that go through the brake shoe and have a spring and funny washer clip arrangement. these can get stretched if someone hasn't backed off the adjuster and the shoes are still touching the drum slightly. so when you try to take off the disc you end up pulling the shoes out, so the clips end up stretched and rub inside. dont ask me how i know but they do:whistle:

Im not sure if its the same setup as the colorado back axle. Have you/someone had the rear break disc/drum off recently? im not sure what the correct name for the part is but you have some clips that go through the brake shoe and have a spring and funny washer clip arrangement. these can get stretched if someone hasn't backed off the adjuster and the shoes are still touching the drum slightly. so when you try to take off the disc you end up pulling the shoes out, so the clips end up stretched and rub inside. dont ask me how i know but they do:whistle:

No - no one has touched the rear brakes for months!

What makes you think it is related to the wheel , does the rate of clicking increase with speed ?

I'm afraid that's what it might be - but I'm not sure how to check apart from pulling it all apart?

Have you had any oil leaking out onto the wheels? that was the first sign of mine going.

Does it do it if you get the wheels off the ground and turn them? Unlikely to be wheel bearing if all it does is click imo, more likely something loose inside a brake drum, or a dry rear prop shaft UJ can make some funny noises. Can you tell if the frequency matches wheel rotation i.e. once per revolution or some other ratio? You can do a limited amount of checking the wheel bearing by pulling the hub/shaft assembly off and eyeballing it, feeling how it turns, give it a wiggle etc, without pulling the hub itself apart which is the real pita.

Does it do it if you get the wheels off the ground and turn them? Unlikely to be wheel bearing if all it does is click imo, more likely something loose inside a brake drum, or a dry rear prop shaft UJ can make some funny noises. Can you tell if the frequency matches wheel rotation i.e. once per revolution or some other ratio? You can do a limited amount of checking the wheel bearing by pulling the hub/shaft assembly off and eyeballing it, feeling how it turns, give it a wiggle etc, without pulling the hub itself apart which is the real pita.

When I jacked the wheel up and turned it there was no noise or sign of any thing wrong! But when driving it speeds up with the road speed & sounds like it 'clicks' with every revolution of the wheel.

When I jacked the wheel up and turned it there was no noise or sign of any thing wrong! But when driving it speeds up with the road speed & sounds like it 'clicks' with every revolution of the wheel.
There's a nail in the tyre.

If it does it when moving slowly can you get someone to drive it slowly past you, or while you walk alongside, so you can try and narrow down where it's coming from, in case it's not where you think it is?

Have you checked the tail shaft and uni's? Not a mate playing a trick with a zip tie?.

Zip tie on the propshaft, now that's a good idea. It's just dark so I'll head on over to Jons'.

Frank

Back