Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clicky starter motor

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
So this relates to my Jimny, not the Land Cruisers but there are a lot of helpful people here much smarter than me so...

Twice in the last month the Jimny has failed to start. The starter motor / solenoid makes repeated fast clicks. Sort of what I'd expect if the battery was duff. But the battery is good. About 3 months old. 12.8V across terminals, and charged to make especially sure.

First time this happened was at home, so ignored it for a couple of days. Went to investigate and of course it started first time!

Happened again last week in the village. Got Mrs C to tow me as far as a slope, then bump started it and got it home. Have used it a few times since just bump starting. Decided today to have a proper look at voltage drop with the multimeter and of course it started first time! Pulled the fuel pump relay and took some readings with my assistant holding the ignition on; between battery positive and solenoid input, drop of about 0.15V. Between starter motor and battery negative, about 0.01V drop.

So I don't think I've got any voltage drop to worry about. Only thing I can think now is the contacts in the solenoid are failing. But would they do that occassionally, and then burst back into life after a few days? When Suzuki build the Jimny they start with the starter motor and then construct the rest of the car around it. It's a pig just getting a multimeter probe near it, so if it has to come off I might as well put a new one on for all the hassle it will be.

Any thoughts?

Well if you are doing a volt drop test you need to do across the battery, ie with the meter set to volts
and reading the voltage when the starter is pulled.
But you might be right about the solenoid, but when it fails to start stick a large pair of pliers across
the two terminals, and if it then starts its the solenoid, but if its does not then look else where

Does it start with a jump? Does the battery have enough amps - obviously voltage not the full story

It does not start with a jump.

Well right now it starts on the key! But when it's in its inoperable mode the above applies.

I was testing volt drop from the positive battery terminal to the solenoid. And the starter motor back to earth. I will test across the battery terminals as suggested also.

Back in the day sometimes the starter motor pinion would not release from the flywheel giving the motor too much to do. A knock with a suitable hammer would let the pinion spring back to the correct position. I think modern starter design overcomes this but worth a try to see if something is stuck in the wrong position.

Hi, I now have similar problem with my LC J150 as you had with your Suzuki, did you resolve your problem and how? Just curious to know the outcome, thanks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Check all the earths.... often forgotten is the fact the earth has the same amps draw as any +pos wire .
Earth's often are exposed to water and rust or the crimps on cables get corroded.... also electricity will try and find an earth path through other components and in the case of a starter fault this can be very high amps trying to get an earth through some small wires .
Basics first.....is your battery 100% ?
When it wont start does everything else function ?
You should be able to purchase a decent aftermarket starter from your local motor factor ....
Depends where you are there may be a local company that can repair and refurb starters and alternators .... if you have one drop the starter and take it to them to test .

Check all the earths.... often forgotten is the fact the earth has the same amps draw as any +pos wire .
Earth's often are exposed to water and rust or the crimps on cables get corroded.... also electricity will try and find an earth path through other components and in the case of a starter fault this can be very high amps trying to get an earth through some small wires .
Basics first.....is your battery 100% ?
When it wont start does everything else function ?
You should be able to purchase a decent aftermarket starter from your local motor factor ....
Depends where you are there may be a local company that can repair and refurb starters and alternators .... if you have one drop the starter and take it to them to test .
New development today, the engine started but run rough for 2-3 seconds then stalled. It restarted but now the yellow engine warning light is on, so it's probably showing a code or three, I've got a simple code reader so tomorrow morning I'll nip out and see what is recorded. Once it settled down it runs and drives fine.
I'm confident the twin batteries are good, they're Bosch Silver Line and only 10 months old. When I fitted them I cleaned all the terminals including the earth that connects to the inner wing. When I press the start button all the normal functions seem ok, the steering wheel comes out ect.
I haven't had time to take the wheel off and get underneath yet for a good look at the starter motor, and doubt I'll be doing it tomorrow in the wind and rain.
It's booked into Toyota next Wednesday so hopefully it'll last till then and if I have to pay for a new starter I'll just have to pay as the LC is my only daily drive now.
There is a good starter motor refurbisher down the coast so if it is replaced I'll get the old one back, get it rebuilt and keep it as a spare for the future.
Thanks for your advice and I'll keep you posted with the outcome.

Hi,
Update on the starting problem, went out this morning and read the codes from the ECU, came up with P0335 which is the crankshaft sensor. I'm ordering one tomorrow from Toyota at about £150, so it should be in stock next week when they look at it. Hopefully that's all it is as I can't afford for it to be off the road too long.

Back