Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Climate Control

warrenpfo

Can anyone shed some light on the ins and outs of the climate control system and why mine takes plus minus 5min to kick in when on auto.

I have the temp setting on 25 at present and i can get in the car start it and only a good few min down the road will it start to get the cabin temp to where it should be. I know the engine has to warm up to get warm air and that its not a modern car which seem to pump out warm or cold on demand independent of the engine temp.

Is it just the way things work.

Last edited:
Pretty much. There is a sticky in the 80 section on how to get the most out of it that Rob wrote and is very useful.

Probably the temp sensor needs a good clean.

Sounds normal to me. The temp control in the 80 relies purely on engine temp so a few minutes from cold doesn't sound excessive. My Dad's BM is kicking out warm air in round a minute so I'm assuming it has some sort of electric heating element? as no engine warms up that quick from a (freezing) cold start.

Last edited:
I'm guessing a bit here Warren, but my old 80 used to take forever to get up to operating temperature. A change of thermostat has brought this down to about 8 minutes (i.e. Movement of the temp gauge and warm air from the heater).

I have to chuckle to myself when you guys rightly refer to "climate control" because the heater fascia in my 80 is strangely reminiscent of a 1961 ford Cortina! :lol:

Cheers all i will check the temp sensor and she has new coolant, thermostat, hoses and no rear heating. I am not complaining just wanting to make sure its normal which it would seem to be.

Mine warms up pretty quickly tbh but it's a petrol.

Yes TP a lot of beemers have an electric heating element, I guess it's a diesel?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine warms up pretty quickly tbh but it's a petrol.

Yes TP a lot of beemers have an electric heating element, I guess it's a diesel?

Yes, a 5 series diesel, half the engine size of the LC but leaves it for dead! That's progress I suppose.

It won't blow out heat until the engine has reached a certain temperature. Essentially because there is no heat to blow out!

Yes, a 5 series diesel, half the engine size of the LC but leaves it for dead! That's progress I suppose.

Our 2.0 diesel 1 series produces nearly as much hp and more torque then my 4.5 petrol!! Somewhat better mpg too lol.

Back