Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clive's HZJ80

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
After owning my 1995 HZJ 80 GX Truck for 10 years, and being a member of this club for the last 4 of them, I thought it time to start this thread.

A bit late you may say, it's already been lifted 110mm, ARB front and rear bumpers, side steps and side bars, Superwinch winch added, and BEBs done.

Although I don't intend doing much more to the truck, I thought it might serve as a diary of maintenance, repair and other mods, 'cos it never stops, does it? :lol:

So, after having it re-sprayed 3 years ago, I now noticed that the lower rear quarters were really rusty, meaning non existent. Off to the body shop we go, and this is the result...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

On the drivers side (yep, it's a left hooker) the tin worm had ventured up into the rear curve of the arch...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Newly made 1mm thick panels all painted nice and shiny, waxed on the inside, so they might last as long as I do, hopefully.

Had some pesky dents in the front wing too, kids chucked a rock at it, all pulled out and repainted....

image.jpeg

And, a year or so ago, I went over a log that up-ended and punched a big dent upwards into the outer sill, so that was pulled out nicely and painted too.

image.jpeg

Front and rear repairs inside the rear arches...

image.jpeg

It's not finished yet, the arch cap pings need replacing when the new clips arrive and all that shiny blue will be re-wrapped in cling-film on steroids.

It's great stuff for scratchy lanes and tracks which I do most weekends, but mighty expensive. Still, the paintwork under it is as new as it was when done 3 years after.

Updates to come as appropriate. image.jpeg

Looks a good job that Clive,get some good polish on there now and it will all look like new.

Great Job Clive..... Your mighty 80 is looking new again ready for expeditions.
Thanks for sharing

image.jpeg
Have to get some polish now Clive on the rest to make it as shiny,just done the Volvo today

Thanks guys, he's done a fine job and the price was right. He spent a day and a half on each rear quarter.

He also fitted Chas' old side sliding window frames using new (still in the sealed packs) rubbers I was lucky to get from Dervis (indigo spirit) at a good price. My frames were damaged and the old rubbers were perished and slit open.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you ever venture over this way Clive,I'd have yours like that for you buddy

If you ever venture over this way Clive,I'd have yours like that for you buddy
I might take you up on that Sag, when o get a bit older. While I'm off-roading, the paint will stay under plastic. It makes it look rather dull and the plastic gets scratched up. But underneath. It's pristine paint. So, when I stop off-roading, off will come the plastic and the paint will be good, for a shiny retirement.

That's the plan, anyway...

That's a good idea you have Clive for the amount of off-roading you do,and like you say when your done you can remove the film and have new paint.

looks good, remove the rear inside trim and soak the back of the repairs with http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pr...Rust-Proof-KO-66-350g/105387?menuFrom=1021775 or something similar, and spray up under the rear window, and where the flares attach on the inside. I use starbrite marine polish on the paintwork, got it for the boat but works well on car paint, and designed for sun and salt protection, cant get harsher than that

Just looking to buy some currency for the Romania trip and 500 quid gets 2,331.77 Leu .

I should leave my truck with you Clive and fly out to collect when it's brand new again !

I might take you up on that Sag, when o get a bit older. While I'm off-roading, the paint will stay under plastic. It makes it look rather dull and the plastic gets scratched up. But underneath. It's pristine paint. So, when I stop off-roading, off will come the plastic and the paint will be good, for a shiny retirement.

That's the plan, anyway...

Tell me about this plastic thing. How does it work? How do I get it on my 120?

Just look up vehicle wrapping in your area Gok you may not notice but you see it all the time on things like DHL and TNT delivery vans Clive opted for a transparent wrap . Quote for my shorty was about £1200 .

Bloody hell man. This is unreal.
It's unnatural if you ask me. All that shiny stuff? How's the protective layer of dirt supposed to stick to that then? I ask you…some people…:)

Thanks for that starcruiser,a good clay bar first then polish soon has them shining.

Thanks guys.:thumbup:

Trouble is, plastic doesn't polish well :lol:

Reactions: Sag
Back