Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clock resets to 1.00

GregS

Country Flag
australia
Hello everyone. I'm new to the site. The digital clock in my 100 series keeps resetting itself every time I turn the car off and then on. I read it has lost its power supply but there are no other electrical gremlins happening. How do I fix this?? Does it have a small lithium battery in it that has finally died??? Many thanks for your help.

If it’s the same as the 80 series which has 3 wires going in, it will be maintained by a permanent 12V from the battery, with the other two wires being negative and an ignition switched live. There may also be a wire from the headlamp circuit which dims the figures at night. If the permanent 12v has been lost, either externally to the clock or internally on the circuit board, you will reset whenever power is disconnected.

Have you had any water get in behind the dash from a leaky windscreen perhaps?

Best thing is to investigate and see if you have 12V positive and negative permanently connected to the clock using a multimeter set to DC volts. If so then the fault is internal, possibly as simple as a soldered joint needing resoldering.

If it’s the same as the 80 series which has 3 wires going in, it will be maintained by a permanent 12V from the battery, with the other two wires being negative and an ignition switched live. There may also be a wire from the headlamp circuit which dims the figures at night. If the permanent 12v has been lost, either externally to the clock or internally on the circuit board, you will reset whenever power is disconnected.

Have you had any water get in behind the dash from a leaky windscreen perhaps?

Best thing is to investigate and see if you have 12V positive and negative permanently connected to the clock using a multimeter set to DC volts. If so then the fault is internal, possibly as simple as a soldered joint needing resoldering.

Thanks so much. That makes complete sense. I'll try to pull it out of the dash...and not break anything!

Back