Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clunk moving into Drive on Colorado Auto

Buller

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Probably been a thread before about this but I sometimes get quite a clunk when going into Drive, sometimes into reverse but not a "clunky".
Is it just driveline slack as I've read on some threads, I've greased the UJ's and all that stuff...any ideas???

Worth just taking a reading of your engine idle speed. Yes some movement is normal, but if your tick over is a bit high then effectively you will be applying 'throttle' which will make this more pronounced.

OK, cheers for the advise. Idle speed looks ok but I'll keep an eye on it. Just thinking a UJ may be on its way out.

Mine clunks every now and then, can also clunk if you are not fully stopped going from R to D or otherwise. FWIW my idle is approx 600 to 800 RPM.

I think it's fairly easy to check UJ wear under the car. I think they need grease every 5000km or so.

Cheers for the reply. Sounds like its quite common.

i had same when my UJ was slowly seizing up. I did a lot of greasing but couldn’t really see the seizing until I took it off altogether

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Clunk sorted. Front prop shaft rear UJ seized up. Probably through lack of greasing over the years which is partially my fault I guess.
One of the grease holes in the UJ was blocked solid so no grease could get through to the bearing.
Moral to this story is to push grease through and make sure it comes out of all bearing seals.

Attachments

• IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 53
What is also very interesting is the difference in size of the chamber full of grease - it is much larger on the more expensive Toyota Uj compared to the after market one I removed. I will dig out the photos. I decided to pay up for Toyota Uj for certainty of performance

If you are greasing the rest remember the expansion joints (sorry don't know the technical term!) need only a few pumps of grease only - you shouldn't aim to overflow these like you do with UJs.

Back