Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clunk/Thud when accelerating after coasting.

Taurus

Dear members,

I have a Toyota landcruiser short wheel base (3 doors), 2018, Diesel 2.8L. 6 gear, auto.

After the car gets warmed up, after some driving, In some situations when I accelerate after coasting I hear a clunk/thud noise, coming from somewhere in the central bottom part of the car, I think. (not from the back, not too front).
This is very prominent, for example, when crawling in slow traffic, or when accelerating after coasting uphill.

Did anyone encounter such phenomenon? What was the cause? How did you solve it?

Thanks!

Hi there Taurus and Welcome. It’s hard to say for sure as there’s a lot that could be doing this as @Shayne may well tell you after chasing similar on his 90. How many miles has it done? Has the Centre Diff lock been used on any hard surfaces?

Could have strained or broken gears or chain in the transfer box or other parts of the transmission. Needs investigating.

On a Toyota that new i'd be looking for a loose or missing bolt on engine or gearbox mounts .

Had similar happen on my FJ recently, though more on pulling away and cornering... a UCA (Upper Control Arm) bolt was loose (aftermarket UCA's fitted in 2014).

Could it be a loose I-joint on the prop shaft? If you crawl under and try twist the prop shaft by hand any give? Could be any of the above.. .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sometimes clunking can be caused by the Prop shafts, especially when pulling up. Lubricate with Lithium grease, Should be 6 nipples. Flexible hose on the grease gun will be required.

And don’t put too much in the slides. There’s advice on here about greasing prop shafts and to remove the grease nipple and go for a drive over some bumps before putting it back otherwise they can hydraulically lock and cause immense pressure on your Diff and transfer box.

For the U-Joints you need to pump in grease until you see just a slight amount of the old grease flowing out of the joints and for the sliding joints you just pump in 4-5 times and call it a day

Back