Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clutch fluid replacement gone wrong .

Shayne

Guru
With new brake fluid in i noticed the clutch fluid looked a bit dark in colour by comparison and so i decided to test my new sealey vacuum bleeder on that which was a mistake . Should have let sleeping dogs lie because i have no clutch now :icon-cry:

Pedal is just spring loaded flicking from full up to full down or visa versa with no hydraulic pressure at all . I have put a couple of litres of fluid through it bleeding from the slave with no change so i would appreciate suggestions please .

Go back to the old method perhaps Shayne?

Last edited:
Perhaps you have to bleed the clutch mater cylinder Shayne. Best way to change fluid is to let some out, top it up, let some out top it up rather than drain the whole thing. Maybe you did or didn't I don't know, but if you drain it completely you might have to disconnect the pipe at the master, pour fluid in then lightly cover the hole with your finger whilst the good lady presses the pedal then as you let the pedal back up slowly keep your finger tight on the outlet. This should drawer fluid into the piston. Not an expert on this but had the same issue and it was the MC that needed bleeding not the slave and pipes.

Reactions: Sag
Yes, sounds like air in the master cylinder. You could also try filling the master cylinder, leave the cap loose so that any air can escape and then pump the pedal loads of times (15 to 25 ish) until the pedal starts to firm up a bit. Then hold the pedal down with a length of wood or similar and open the bleed nipple, probably be a bit of air coming out with the fluid, then close the nipple quickly, top up and release the pedal and give it a few more pumps. You might have to do this a couple of times.

Thanks guys it's sorted .

I tried to keep the fluid from dropping out of sight in the reservoir but must have over done it once or twice , easy done while under the truck and guessing , so yeah mc was upset .

Solution was to let the master and slave leak for a spell while pumping the peddle and topping up . And the mrs arrived to help with the final bleed old school style .

So there you have it - it was Helen's fault if she hadn't gone swanning off to buy me food all would have been good . I have no idea why she couldn't have done the shopping on her way home from her twelve hour nightshift bloody women i will train her yet :eusa-whistle:

Happy to see this sorted Shayne, so close to D-Day.

Now wash your hands, lock the tool shed and play with something else till its time to leave, before you break something else :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I hear that Clive but acid etch only went on the winch tray/bumper bracket tonight , Simon Holton is sending me out some mudguards clips , and tomorrow i will be ordering new and spare filters plus engine diffs gearbox and transfer oils . Might put a new breather on the rear axle as well depending on what the oil looks like . That should give the paint time to dry and etch . All i have to do then is fit the bumper with its hawse and what not and wack a numberplate on . Plenty of time i reckon but i am a little dismayed that swmbo expects me to clean the truck as well :icon-eek:

Last edited:
Sorry Shayne, perhaps you could run through who was training who again…:shifty:

I will try and think of a clever answer for you while i wash the dishes Starcruiser :lol:

Lynn says you need to get a dishwasher. :icon-biggrin:

Back