Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clutch master cylinder - HDJ80

LeCruiser

Garage
Hi

I changed the master cylinder 18 months ago as it failed and also renewed the slave cylinder. Put a new clutch in last year too. The master cylinder has failed again, it was a Milners replacement, looks like the inner seal/rubber has been damaged or worn in one place.

Thinking about putting a better quality part in, obviously there the original part, is there anything that comes close? Don't fancy the hassle of doing it again and again with cheap parts

Thanks

I went OEM on a new master and slave and the old ones were perfectly functional, only changed it when the new clutch was installed, as a safety precaution...

They're hanging in the shed for a rainy day.

No alternative suggestions, sorry...

Bite the bullet and go genuine, be good for at least 100.000 miles, aftermarket parts you'll probably fit 5 of em in 100.000 miles, not worth the hassle if you want to keep reliability.

Thanks... I think you've just confirmed what I was thinking but thought there was a good blueprint out there ..

Just a thought I assume Toyota do a kit to repair the original oem unit?
I have used Toyota original seals to service my brake calipers and it was a straight forward job and they have lasted well without issue.

I used the slave cylinder kit, has been fine for years.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think I'd rather get an original MC and refirb it myself with new genuine internals. There's no guarantee that gen rebuild parts will fit an after market copy. I fitted a Milner clutch slave and in the end, had to use some parts off the old unit to make it work properly. I did tell Milners. Most copy parts are guaranteed to fit, but not guaranteed to work. I'm terrible; I don't chuck genuine parts away anymore. I do like to recondition them if I can. Some non gen bits are perfectly fine. But yes there are others that I avoid. The advantage with living close to Milners is I can go in, look at the parts and ask if they have any OME ones. Sometimes they do and they're the same price.

I would go for the Toyo seals if they still do them. I would polish the bore of the original Toyo cylinder if you still have it. Put a smear of rubber grease in the bore and on seals. Perhaps the Milner ones are too dry when assembled.

It's always worth checking the price of a new Toyo cylinder. Sometimes their prices are OK.

Good quality car. eg Toyo VW AUDI, cylinders and seals should last the life of the car especially if the fluid is changed so corrosion does'nt set in due to dissolved water in the fluid.

I'm on the second Milner part in 18 months and haven't got the original so not worth a rebuild :(

I also like to repair or service genuine Toyota components if at all possible, I have recently serviced my original starter and I am hoping it will be ok for the next 200k.

Back