Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Clutch smelling

Dave_S

Hi all

Jan mentioned that the 80 Series has started to get clutch smells occasionally, usually when booting it, It's not noticeably slipping (yet) though.

Bit surprised at the clutch was changed about 5 years ago (c40,000 miles) - was a clutch kit at the time, but we didn't have any bearings or seals changed, so I'm suspicious that it may have a seal weeping, contaminating the plate.

Anyway, I don't want a further repeat, so was planning on getting in another kit, spigot bearing and crank seal. I've read a couple of threads on here about this, mostly from a few years ago... anything else I need to consider? Thanks all :)

Perhaps double check the clutch first. Boot it up to 2500 rpm in 3rd and brake with left foot keeping throttle fully open. You should be able to stall the engine.

Yeah they always seem to slip in 3rd.
Any oil seeping out of the hole in the bottom of the bell housing?
Wearing one out in 40000 miles would take some doing imo.

Dare I say it?

Can I say it?

Does the Mrs drive it a lot?

#checks passport#...

First signs of slippage on my old clutch were when accelerating hard in 4th. There may have been a small amount of slippage in 3rd which I didn't notice but in 4th it was impossible to miss. Couldn't get it to slip in 5th strangely enough.

Thanks guys.

CG - yep, she's the main driver now - it's essentially her truck now, so she knows it pretty well and drives it daily. She's a good driver and doesn't hang about, she doesn't drag the clutch.

TP/Frank - yeah - think I will check the clutch with the handbrake on and double check... though I'm not sure what else it could be to be honest!

Fyi
I installed a OEM heavy duty clutch.
When you get the clutch out, check for blue spots on the flywheel.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You really need the clutch engaged and stalling the engine with the brakes. A good clutch might slip if you tried to drive off with the handbrake on or some other means of stopping the car going forward as in a wall or tree.

Well, I got the chance to investigate today and the clutch is good - stalled the engine, no slip. So I did a bit more digging... and would you believe, it was the alternator belt slipping and creating a burning smell. One belt had come off completely, the other had somehow flipped over (so running on the wrong side). I wouldn't have thought of that initially, given the smell and timing of it happening. Alternator was still working/charging... So new aux belts, no new clutch! RESULT! Just need to get the belts now.... :)

Last edited:
Well, I got the chance to investigate today and the clutch is good - stalled the engine, no slip. So I did a bit more digging... and would you believe, it was the alternator belt slipping and creating a burning smell. One belt had come off completely, the other had somehow flipped over (so running on the wrong side). I wouldn't have thought of that initially, given the smell and timing of it happening. Alternator was still working/charging... So new aux belts, no new clutch! RESULT! Juts need to get the belts now.... :)

Certainly cheaper than a clutch-kit and somewhat easier to install :lol: :thumbup: :dance:

Back