Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Co Donegal , ireland. Hi, I’m running a 79 bj40, a lot of restoration done past few years , but running good now,

Tonyyemm

Country Flag
ireland
Hi, having converted my 79 bj40 to all round disk brakes, i am looking for an overdrive , it’s already got a turbo , so thinking it will help with distance cruising, any one know where to get one? Regards Tony

If its an original BJ it should have 4.1 diffs in it. You could raise the gearing by putting FJ diffs in which usually are 3.8 :1,as are 60 series. An alternative is to change the gearbox for a 60 series 5 speeder, ( don't know the ins and outs of this conversion but I did have a 45 with the 5 spd box and cruising at 70 was easy).

Hi Iwan, I guess you could add more? I don't know how easy the conversion to five speed is with the BJ engine, mine had the 2H engine.

thanks for suggestions, mine is the original B engine, any suggestions where to ask about the 5 speed box conversion, or the gear box cog parts?

Hi Tony, I would try Brendan at classic cruisers in Ireland I think his number 353 86 777 1175, he knows what is required and helped me when I did mine, cheers Jon

thanks Jon, that’s really helpful, I am from Wales originally, and didn’t know about that guy, he will get a call for sure, my bj40 plan Is to use it, not leave it in garage, it’s getting waxoyl and then it’s ready for the Irish weather.
couple of small things, I could do with the ashtray insert , and possibly new quarter light rubber seals, but only original ones seem to be £200 a pair,

a fuel filler flap lock/key would be good, I’m hoping the guy will have those available . And, a decent set of seat covers would be good, if you have any ideas of what fits ok, original seats have been recovered in vinyl, but won’t last long with the 2 dogs up front. Regards

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Roger, could spend plenty there for sure, just opened my eyes to how much it’s worth just as parts, but that won’t happen,
Good destination for a road trip though. Scrap yard tour of Portugal.

Yes, and as you probably know they build 70 series in Portugal too. Often thought I'd like to see if you can visit the factory. The other place that's not too far from Portugal is Gibraltar where 'Stockholders' build the 70 series trucks, etc, for the NGOs etc. Again don't know if one can visit but the boss there has a restored 40 series.

Like you, our 40 is our daily driver - rain, sun, desert and mountains - but unlike you we don't get too much rain as we live in Spain.

The people at Megastore are really helpful and speak English. Maybe worth an question with them re your seats.

Regards,

Rodger

Re the ashtray insert: Check Ben Henry in FB group '40 series landcruiser owners'
He has boxes of odd 40 bits for sale and in one of the boxes is an ashtray insert.

Regards,
Rodger

Back