Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Coil Light HD-FT

Mojo

Country Flag
hong_kong
Just a quick summary of what I have been trying to do about the annoying coil light that remains on once up and running. And to thank those I have pmd and whatsapp at all times of the day (you know who you all are!).
So the light in question shines like the north star on my dashboard, which I can't stand looking at any more (ignore the check engine light).
20181123_154809.jpg

In short, the EGR valves are blanked, the EGR crossover was gummed full of 21 years worth of soot, the intake heater worked as should and the relay under the DS battery is all OK. I have also converted the 24v start to 12v.

20181127_124241.jpg

IMG-20181206-WA0011.jpg

So instead I went through the Russian Landcruiser link, that was recently posted on this site and set about looking at the wiring of the ECU.

IMG-20181205-WA0000.jpg

0_IMG_20181204_113854.jpg

There are only two wires that need to be removed with a very 'non special tool' (it takes a matter of seconds to remove a wire pin from the harness, once you know which tool to use!) - its not the PAPERCLIP!
Without an FSM or access to google, its trial and error.
Do not cut the wire, in case you need to put it back in at a later stage.
IMG-20181206-WA0003.jpg

Now my dashboard looks like a black hole, where no light can possibly escape! It's all sorted. And the intake heater starter is still in place functioning as per normal.

Next I am going to re arrange all the vacuum tubing as per the Japanese way and not for the UK EGR way. And in theory it should eliminate lag&fuel symptoms. At a later stage I am planning on visiting wink4x4 for the turbo addition.

TBC

How are the EGR and Glow plugs systems linked? This just looks like an issue with your pre heat for the plugs. Have you removed and tested them?

Thank you Mojo. It took me 30min and the light is gone.

How are the EGR and Glow plugs systems linked? This just looks like an issue with your pre heat for the plugs. Have you removed and tested them?
The preheat light is also used as a check engine light for the emissions ECU.
Mine started flickering after it has not done for a year, so I probably an issue inside my ecu so I am going to pin out the cable aswell.

Mojo, how are you going to route the vacuum tubing? Do you have a picture or a diagram or something?

Looks like a quick and easy job that needs done on my truck , it's almost not raining so please tell me the ECU is not buried deep in the dash ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks like a quick and easy job that needs done on my truck , it's almost not raining so please tell me the ECU is not buried deep in the dash ?

If i remember right shayne. I think all the egr crap is in the bin by a previous owner.

Last edited:
Coil light i meant Karl , all the preheater stuff will be removed eventually too i think . I've been meaning to but haven't yet got around to disconnecting under the drivers side battery but if i can find the ecu to pull 2 wires out of it all the better .

Mojo, how are you going to route the vacuum tubing? Do you have a picture or a diagram or something?

I have an FSM diagram of sorts, which shows the vacuum pipes as per a non EGR 80. Mainly the three pipes around the boost unit- is where I will focus.

EGR ECU is right behind the passenger speaker next to the glove box. Easy to get to. Depending on your wire harness there is a tab you need to release before poking out the wire pins...

Thanks Mojo sadly its dark now and i have steak in the frying pan , but maybe tomorrow :thumbup:

Back