Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cold start - Fast Idle

Brett

Country Flag
uk
This morning was the coldest so far since I bought the 200, about 10 degrees, when I started up this morning, it started as normal but after a couple of seconds, the revs rose from the normal 6-700 odd to 1000rpm. Once the engine was warm, idle speed returned to the usual. IS this normal? Seems like quite an increase.

Silly question is the air con on

No, Aircon is off, when on it only raises the revs by approx 100-200 rpm

Do you have an IDLE-UP / PWR-HEAT button on these? If so was it pressed in?

It does have a power heat yes, it wasn't pressed. I did press it after a couple of miles driving, but it didn't raise the revs any higher, it did warm the cab quicker though.

Probably see the pwr heat raise the revs if you turn it on when the engine is cold, rather than after a few miles.

Wouldn't be surprised if the ECU raises the revs anyway when the outside temp is cold to warm up quicker - don't know for sure though. Wonder if Raj sees the same thing on his?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's what I was thinking, it was absolutely bang on 1000rpm, so looked like it was a planned event. Engine is low mileage, with Toyota FSH. Only thing I thought, and I'm still a bit unsure about is DPF regen. I don't think my truck has DPF, definitely no manual button. But exhaust looks like it has 2 inline cats on each branch, where I thought the non DPF trucks only had a single cat per branch. I digress though!

You see it on petrol cars a lot to warm up the cat, I don't think diesels need the same warming up though.

As Karl says, the power heat on from cold will raise the revs for fast warm up, but IIRC once warm then cuts out regardless of still switched on or not

I will check if mine does that too, I thought 1000 rpm was normal idle rpm. I am already over obsessed, trying to find fault n correct . Today for 1 hour I listened to YouTube videos of 4.5 D4D engine sound to understand how it should sound n find if mine sounds normal. MAD ME.
I can start it now but it makes lot of noise n might disturb neighbors. I ll start n update early tomorrow

Last edited:
Temp will need to be about 10 degrees to try and reproduce the same conditions

I'll see if it does it again in the morning, driving home tonight was fine also

Perfect tomorrow morning temp at 7 am is 8.another doubt how long does it take Landcruisers to warm up. Mine takes long time approx 10 mins for temp needle to rise to middle.

Diesels can take a while to warm up in the cold weather, thats where your power heater can be helpful

I started mine this morning with 8 degrees showing on the temperature. It starts and idles at about 700rpm. There's no initial fast idle.

Could it be the DPF that is trying to regenerate?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Raj
I had the power heater in the Hilux and I did use it, I can't say I noticed it heated the engine much quicker but it did get the cab warm quicker.

Back