Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Colorado 5th gear issue

McLean Racing

Country Flag
uk
Hi guys, my Colorado has developed an issue were its being a right bastard to select 5th gear, sometimes its fine and works no problem, other times it refuses point blank not to go in and u have to try double clutching to get it to go in. All other gears are fine.

Is this a known problem? Is the syncro on the way out or is there linkage rods from the stick to the box that wear out?

Milage is close to 170,000 now if that makes and difference

Hi guys, my Colorado has developed an issue were its being a right bastard to select 5th gear, sometimes its fine and works no problem, other times it refuses point blank not to go in and u have to try double clutching to get it to go in. All other gears are fine.

Is this a known problem? Is the syncro on the way out or is there linkage rods from the stick to the box that wear out?

Milage is close to 170,000 now if that makes and difference

Sounds like a synco issue rather than play in the linkage, but you will have to check it :)

You might want to have a look at the shifter bushes on here: https://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/shifter-parts

Look at the seats & sockets.

Not sure if re-bushing is the answer, but it may be that you have so much play you're graunching across the reverse detent? Anyway, it's a start point to think about - hopefully someone with much more knowledge will be along soon...

You might want to have a look at the shifter bushes on here: https://www.marlincrawler.com/transmission/shifter-parts

Look at the seats & sockets.

Not sure if re-bushing is the answer, but it may be that you have so much play you're graunching across the reverse detent? Anyway, it's a start point to think about - hopefully someone with much more knowledge will be along soon...

When my gear lever seat disintegrated on my 70 Series I couldn't select third or forth. For the £9 cost of a new gear lever seat it must have been the cheapest ever gearbox repair!

You don't even have to remove the gear box from the car.

Thanks guys. Will get it checked out asap, hopefully its the cheaper and easier fix lol

Back