Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Colorado auto box

Alan Parsons

Country Flag
great_britain
My Colorado has suddenly developed a bad oil leek from the front of the auto box, it's fine driving locally even towing a heavy trailer, but at 70 mph on the motorway it pours oil out, any ideas or is this terminal?

Hmm probably the rear crank seal I'd have thought. Is it black engine oil or red auto box oil?

If it's said crank seal, then it's auto box out and new seal in. Big and heavy stuff but not rocket salad.

Hmm. Maybe the seal around the torque converter output shaft. If it's pishing out then it sounds like it's under pressure rather than simply leaking.

Could be the pan bolts - went camping the other day to find the front of the camper trailer covered in ATF, turned out at the full service I had a few weeks ago the mechanic failed to tighten half the bolts on the transmission pan :( Local mechanic to the caravan park sorted out the problem but said the OEM cork gaskets can come loose naturally. Even though the front of the trailer was covered in the stuff, it only needed 2.5 litres to bring from below the Low mark to normal.

I had done some driving before this trip but just city driving to/from work, nothing taxing. The camping trip took us across the Toowoomba range, with the trailer, so I imagine the transmission got a lot hotter then which caused the leak. Hope your problem is as simple as this to fix.

Back