Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Colorado Coolant Loss

Mels Truck

Country Flag
uk
Am hoping someone can shed some light on my mystery of disappearing coolant. Not overheating, oil cap black, no exhaust gases in radiator, no obvious leaks. Using coolant but not consistently, can do the same journey and coolant level either stays the same or it loses some. Can be a bit rough to start sometimes with a bit of smoke. Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Been suggested head gasket/cracked head but can't tick off all the symptoms. Thank you -:)

I've had coolant loss before due to the rad cap not venting. Symptoms were a steam smell when driving and after getting out of the car after a good run.

Certainly an easy one to tick off the list. Have you looked to see if the coolant in the rad is bubbling when the engine is running?

Hi, thanks for reply. Knew I'd forgotten one bit of information, I've put a new radiator cap on! I've noticed a bit of coolant on the top of the radiator and expansion pipe (where it connects to the radiator) but not every time I've lost coolant - was with old and new caps too. Was going to try bubble test today but coolant wasn't right up to the cap.

I eventually found a heater pipe clip was dripping coolant onto the turbo which of course instantly evaporated the evidence . Might it be consistent with your using the heater ?

Had wondered whether it might be heater related, need to try ride outs with and without heater on. Thank you for suggestion. I'll also have a good look at the heater pipe work too.

Also check the lines that run to the rear heater matrix. These are known to rot and can cause leaks.

Worse case scenario you have a cracked head/gasket and are using a little bit of coolant through the cylinders but not enough for major concern. However, in the long term water in those cylinders will pit the bore and leave you with having to replace the entire engine vs just the head

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thank you, will have a look. Did the bubble test today and no bubbles, if I did it right! Also had a run out with the heater off and very little if any coolant lost.

Also check the lines that run to the rear heater matrix. These are known to rot and can cause leaks.

Worse case scenario you have a cracked head/gasket and are using a little bit of coolant through the cylinders but not enough for major concern. However, in the long term water in those cylinders will pit the bore and leave you with having to replace the entire engine vs just the head

mmm, that happened to mine, tiny bit of loss, then it got a bit more.......changed the head and no problem, not a drop lost since :)

Back