Mick W

Country Flag
great_britain
Anyone any idea where the rear tail light relay is located? Cheers

Attachments

• 20200821_120629_LI.jpg
    20200821_120629_LI.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 63
I go blind deaf and dumb when someone mentions electrickey but i'd expect to find it behind paneling on the opposite side to your jack locker .

It does say Fuse Block and shows the STOP and ALT fuse in there too both of which are in the under bonnet fuse box I think.

Here is an except of the bottom of the box. Tail is 2nd from bottom row in middle.

fusebox.PNG

Well, after much head scratching and testing I must have had a short/ground in the rear lighting harness. Ran in new cables, installed new bumper lights and all is good.
Never found the tail light relay but ordered a new one anyways (sure I can use it somewhere).

It does say Fuse Block and shows the STOP and ALT fuse in there too both of which are in the under bonnet fuse box I think.

Here is an except of the bottom of the box. Tail is 2nd from bottom row in middle.

View attachment 168063
That's where I expected it to be but here's my fuse box..... confused.com

Attachments

• 20200824_150649.jpg
    20200824_150649.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 58
Gonna have to check mine now. Maybe it's worth pulling the headlight fuse to see if they are in with that. Perhaps the separate TAIL relay is only for the models with the bumper mounted back lights (like the Australian domestic market Prado I have).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well I'm at work now so will report back on mine later but I just checked the diagram and whilst there are different light setups for different markets all go through the tail relay.
tail.PNG

Gonna have to check mine now. Maybe it's worth pulling the headlight fuse to see if they are in with that. Perhaps the separate TAIL relay is only for the models with the bumper mounted back lights (like the Australian domestic market Prado I have).
I have the bumper mounted tail lights also. Mine is a 1999 FX model.

OK this is interesting - mine is a 2000 VZJ95R - so a mkII 90 series. No TAIL relay, does have the position but it's just crossed out on the legend.

Maybe it's worth pulling the HEAD relay and seeing if that does the taillights too. Or maybe it's just via the switch now?

Could also be via the integration relay, which is behind the bonnet and fuel releases.

My diagram above is from 1996 so that would be the mkI 90 series.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Back