Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Comarnic - Romania - 2020

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
Following the lifting of all restrictions and border closures and such nonsense, if anyone is interested or able to visit us this year, please let us know by posting here your names, in an orderly fashion, to give us an idea in advance. As usual, it’s free to members, their families/guests.

The best dates for us will be the last 2 weeks in August 2020, but the exact dates are to suit you guys. It’s always a free and easy approach for us, come and go as you please.

It’s first come first served as far as accommodation is concerned. There’s room for about 5 Land Cruisers in the garden, camping welcome, maybe more at a push and there’s 3 or 4 en-suite rooms up for grabs (depending on whether sis-in-law is still staying with us).

We were hoping that 2 more en-suite rooms would be finished, but the lockdown has hit that construction program hard, so it’s unlikely that they will be ready. There’s always an inflatable bed option on the floor or dossing on a settee... depends how fussy you are :lol:

If you put your name down, please PM me your phone number so we have a way to contact you if plans change either way. I’ll reply with my number so you’ll know who the hell is phoning you at 01:00AM on a Sunday... JK

We desperately hope that travel will be permitted by then, we kicked this off in 2015 (IIRC) and most who’ve come here have enjoyed I think, we don’t seem to have had any complaints - yet...

It‘s usually a couple of weeks (less your travel time each way) of day-trips in our locality which, for the benefit of newcomers, is scenic hills and mountains, forests, maybe a castle visit if that suits, and a trip down to the local river for some BBQ and a cold one or two. Nothing extreme, unless your name is Nick, or you really do insist on some grief.

Did I mention BBQ? There’s usually a fair bit of that going on.

So here’s looking forward to some responses (if any) we’ll miss you guys if nobody shows....

Let's hope that all the countries between you and here allow travel and you have a good gathering.

I would love to come again Clive, this is if we are allowed to travel without isolation when we get home

Let's hope that all the countries between you and here allow travel and you have a good gathering.

Thanks Sarah, we’re keeping our fingers crossed.
Is there no chance of us being graced by a visit from you guys in the mighty FJ?:think:

I would love to come again Clive, this is if we are allowed to travel without isolation when we get home

This I think would be the worst case scenario David.
It seems that most of the European States (they’re not countries anymore y’know) plan to open their borders soon, Italy has already and many others are following suit, but the threat of a 14 day quarantine remains upon return. Not sure how that might work when you’re in transit, but I’m sure that will become clearer nearer the time.
Anyway, you know you’re more than welcome, along with others, so we live in hope.
Cheers matey :thumbup:

Sorry to say Helen and i won't be travelling anywhere this year regardless of rules Clive , onwards and upwards but i've a lot to reinvest to get back where i started . While i hope you do get some visitors if no takers maybe this is the excuse you need to get a rooftent so worst case scenario book yourself a trip , big country Romania

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

This I think would be the worst case scenario David.
It seems that most of the European States (they’re not countries anymore y’know) plan to open their borders soon, Italy has already and many others are following suit, but the threat of a 14 day quarantine remains upon return. Not sure how that might work when you’re in transit, but I’m sure that will become clearer nearer the time.
Anyway, you know you’re more than welcome, along with others, so we live in hope.
Cheers matey

Sorry to say Helen and i won't be travelling anywhere this year regardless of rules Clive , onwards and upwards but i've a lot to reinvest to get back where i started . While i hope you do get some visitors if no takers maybe this is the excuse you need to get a rooftent so worst case scenario book yourself a trip , big country Romania

Equally sorry to hear that Shayne, on all counts.
We’ll miss your company and wish you well recouping you’re losses.
Stay optimistic mate, it’s not the first time you’ve had a hit, although I imagine that this one has probably been one one of the worst.

We’ve got a tent, so if nobody shows, we might try a few days away.

Aura and Ana are not against camping, although the last time we tried it, the place we chose was too popular (down by the river as you approach the place where the church-in-the-cave is at Pestera).

We were one of the first to arrive, but within a couple of hours there were hundreds there, and loud music coming from 3 different Cabinas, it was bloody bedlam till 3:30 the next morning, we didn’t get a wink of sleep :doh::lol:

Anyway, we can find somewhere more off the beaten track and give it a go.

Take care both, we wish you well. :thumbup:

Its actually done me some good mate caused me to rethink things with greater goals in mind . I will get there it will just take a while .

I was thinking more along the lines of you hooking up with a local expedition to follow someone for a change . A holiday from your holiday home at home :lol:

There’s a local off-road group, nothing official, just a bunch of lads, you met one of them Shayne, when he had the red Pajero and led us up that nice steep quarry road that overlooks Bolboc reservoir. He’s got a Trol now, a big beefy hunk of a truck. There’s about 10 guys all together and they often invite us on camping weekends and such like.

I prefer to stay home at weekends normally, it’s the only time I get to cut the grass and do a bit of gardening, but having lived at the house since the end of February, the garden’s in good shape, so won’t mind leaving the place so much, just for a couple of days or so.

A few pics of the garden, showing that it’s had a bit more than usual attention these days ... thanks to the lockdown...

EBA9AA0C-D208-452D-80A3-424F4D0B59AA.jpeg
7DD32556-474F-4F02-849E-3BD5783A7DFB.jpeg
C24E8858-1702-4F03-8248-76AC9583B5D2.jpeg
240ED334-8B8B-4E0B-9D10-0AE6AEDDDF3E.jpeg
CA80CC5D-08C8-4237-B0C5-1B8A27725AC1.jpeg
3029DC9D-233F-4AEF-8D53-99B4977E29E4.jpeg
34C7D437-E569-481B-B63B-7BCD1D051FF2.jpeg
380991F0-190C-4162-B40E-0DD52BFFEDFE.jpeg
46657A3F-7145-4F8E-B0B2-428A5F73F5A5.jpeg
BE2F10DA-1E10-4DFF-8E3A-93DB7E453877.jpeg
0CD914D3-7B87-4D23-8399-BABAEACFDCD6.jpeg
96D0D568-7965-4FDA-A85C-39AE1481021E.jpeg

Last edited:
Can you put me down as a maybe for now please Clive? I'd love to visit you if we're allowed by then, but I need to check if I can swap some things around to make it happen.

Can you put me down as a maybe for now please Clive? I'd love to visit you if we're allowed by then, but I need to check if I can swap some things around to make it happen.

For sure Jon, you and David can start the list off.

I do appreciate the concerns, and in that respect it’s unlikely that anyone could commit to this 100%, especially this early on.
I held off posting this until we got news of borders opening, but that’s only part of the problem if countries insist on travelers quarantining or isolating for a period after entry.

I very much look forward to meeting you, when I joined this forum back in 2012, I found your story (with the help of links back to the ‘other’ forum) particularly interesting, informative and entertaining, and it was probably the reason why I ended up taking more interest in my 80 than I might have otherwise, because when I bought it, I just bought the cheapest old 4x4 I could find at that time, not realizing that the 80 was one of the most capable off-roaders ever to come off a production line.

From then on it was the usual slippery slope, bits of damage, lots of mud, and a fortune spent on stuff I’ve come to realize we don’t actually need.

It’s all part of the fun though, isn’t it?

I’ll start the list here, and if anyone wants to add their name, they can just copy paste the list and add theirs....

Good stuff Jon, thanks for posting :thumbup:

1. David - maybe, depending on border controls;
2. Jon Wildsmith - maybe depending on border controls and programming;

That is one stunning garden... either you're a magician at Photoshop or you truly have a gift for the green stuff.. :clap:

1. David - maybe, depending on border controls;
2. Jon Wildsmith - maybe depending on border controls and programming;
3.Higgy and Clare...(Subject to Clare missing out on her Teachers Holiday this year) :lol:

It looks like it all depends on what Boris and the other Muppets say we can do, all stating to piss me off big time

Thanks Clive, very kind words from you :) I'd really like to make it this year at last - it's been on my wish list since the first time you had visitors!

There’s a local off-road group, nothing official, just a bunch of lads, you met one of them Shayne, when he had the red Pajero and led us up that nice steep quarry road that overlooks Bolboc reservoir. He’s got a Trol now, a big beefy hunk of a truck. There’s about 10 guys all together and they often invite us on camping weekends and such like.

I prefer to stay home at weekends normally, it’s the only time I get to cut the grass and do a bit of gardening, but having lived at the house since the end of February, the garden’s in good shape, so won’t mind leaving the place so much, just for a couple of days or so.

A few pics of the garden, showing that it’s had a bit more than usual attention these days ... thanks to the lockdown...

View attachment 166397View attachment 166398View attachment 166399View attachment 166400View attachment 166401View attachment 166402View attachment 166403View attachment 166404View attachment 166405View attachment 166406View attachment 166407View attachment 166408
nice work clive, what mower do you use?

waaay off topic...

nice work clive, what mower do you use?

waaay off topic...

It’s nothing special, it’s a walk behind self propelled Viking (Stihl) 4 stroke petrol wheeled 20” rotor mower with a collector box.
I’ve also got a Honda powered 20” FlyMo, for the steep grass bank to the right hand side of the garden.
I’m contemplating a ride-on, but there’s so many trees and bushes, borders and what-not, it would probably not save any time...

thread-Jack over....
oh, it’s my thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back