Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

'Come Up' winch

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well OK so I have a bumper and no vehicle, so it seemed entirely logical to buy a winch as well. I do like the TDS Goldfish and with the new Thompson solenoids, I haven't had issues. They pull well. But the finish is rubbish just like everything else we seem to buy. So, having seen the Come Up winches in action up near Doncaster, I contacted James at Winchman and got a price. He actually came round last night and delivered it personally. Now that's service.

Here's the 9.5 with separate solenoid rather than the bridged version (which I actually prefer). However, as the ARB bumper has the winch laying on its back, I didn't see the point of having the self contained version. I'll most likely move the solenoid housing off the winch itself.

9.5 is plenty big enough as has been proven time and again. This is going to be an overland build not an off road build so the need for a winch is limited in my view. Therefore I shall leave the steel rope on for now, neatly wound on the drum for the day I need it. Another £200 to put plasma and an alloy fairlead on there is low on my budget for now.

Here's the box. Lots of nice tempting pics of Arctic Trucks. This is the SEAL version. Bit like the TDS with the RTV mods I guess. It says the solenoid is fully submersible etc.

P1010132.JPG

First pleasant surprise is that it includes a very nice, heavy winch sail. Tidy.

P1010133.JPG

The solenoid and wiring all comes separate. Decent cable, well terminated. The housing looks good too. Not your usual wobbly Chinese takeaway box. There is a remote available too. The antenna etc apparently is already built in ready. The remote has an indicator light for the thermal overload. So if it does trip, you know why. I have seen these pull and pull and not cut out.

P1010134.JPG

Another prezzie. A pair of Come Up rigger gloves. OK bit tight for my hands. I need a winch bitch with a size 8 paw.

P1010135.JPG

And here's the winch itself. Possibly not as heavy as the TDS - not sure. But certainly nicely finished. Made in the King One factory? Probably. Looks like the tie bars are stainless not chromed. Hoorah.

P1010136.JPG

The finish look much better. More baked on perhaps.

P1010137.JPG

Anyway, we'll see how it looks once I get the bumper on. Once I get a truck to mount it on.

I cannot guarantee that you'd get the same price or deal from James, nor the home delivery either. I can put you in touch with him easy enough. I won't post the price that I paid openly in case it causes anyone a problem. No, it wasn't ridiculously cheap, like £200 or some thing stupid. It was TDS money essentially.

Very nice looking winch Chris. I would love to see it in the ARB bumper.

Nice looking bit of kit. Finish does look better then the tds, repainted mine after a year.
Know a couple of people using them and perform well.

In whose ARB bumper Marius? :whistle:

Seem to remember you have a small space at the front of Sundance currently.

Chris

I want to see your winch installed first before I make the leap into the unknown and I have the White Cruiser to think about as well.

Back