Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

comfort vs practical

Pesca

Country Flag
netherlands
Hi all,

I have been in a dilemma for a number of weeks/months about what type of roof to fit on my LC 75. I am either going for a pop-top tent roof or a hardtop camper style roof.

Goal of my build: Expedition vehicle to travel throughout europe/asia & north-south america. My main concern is that if i will live in this vehicle for months on end, comfort will beat practical living in some ways.

List of pro's and cons I have made concerning both roofs;

Pop-top tent:

Pro's:
Low profile
Lower costs
Less conspicuous expedition vehicle

Con's:
Cold for certain regions
Depends on wind conditions if it is usable
less headroom compared to camper top

Camper Style hardtop:

Pro's:
More headspace / more comfort
Not dependable on weather conditions

Con's
Higher profile (65 centimeter higher), possible problems with bridges, forests..
Higher costs
Conspicuous expedition vehicle

I am hoping to receive feedback from people who might have travelled in one of the two or possibly both. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Bild-35.jpg camer versier.jpg

Hi Pesca,
A pop top fits in a container and you can put things on the roof (spare tire etc)
You can insulate the fabric for the cold seasons.

Having owned various campers.. including a Bongo with a pop top. For cold weather the poptop was too cold so had it down unless summer weather. Comfy lounging about space is more important than standing space. I've used all sorts for ski trips, now have a Hymer which has awesome insulation in cold weather & lots of impractical space! Never found a happy medium yet.

Whenever i see pop top conversions old Bedford campers spring to mind .

https://www.pioneer-automobiles.co.uk/Resources/library5/Bedford_CF250_Classic_Camper_1211.html

I haven't seen one for nearly 30 years but i remember how impressed i was that a van so small could be so comfortable . The pop top was only there to give you standing space while cooking and washing dishes and the seats folded into a bed .

I have no idea if it might make for a workable compromise though ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Asking for cruiser specific will likely just get a straight no , if you ask if it fits on a flat roof the answer will likely be yes . They are not full width anyway and they don't need to be

Back