Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Condensor and Radiater Change

BlackWidow

Garage
Well guys as some of you know I have just come back from France where I suffered a slight over heating problem. Nothing that I could not keep under control but needed looking at. Whilst in France Jon Wildsmith and I took a look at the old girl and found that the condesor fins were knackerd and it would benefit fitting a new one. Jon also put forward a suggestion that as mine has been lifted and that I have full under body protection the negative air presure that is usually there has been interupted and the hot air is not being drawn away from the engine. Thus the air is heated then re heated and just gets hotter and hotter,solution to this is a scoop in the bonnet with a Kenlow fan.

Under Jon's wise advice I decided to tackle the problem by trying to fix the problem without the need for the scoop and fan, only resorting to that as a back up for when I am in a very hot climate. It looks like it worked all I needed was a new condensor, radiatior and fresh Mr T. coolant.

Changing the radiator and condensor is a straight forward job. The radiator comes out first.

Firstly undo the 4 10mm bolts that hold the fan cowling to the radiator and just push it back over the fan. You do not need to get it out as there will be enough room with it just pushed back.

Remove the grill, top and bottom hoses and the two transmission oil pipes at the bottom (if its auto). Undo the 4 bolts around the edge from the front, You can remove the bolts completely as the radiator is hung on hooks that hold it in place. The bottom two can be reached using a long extension bar through the bumper.

radiatorchange007.jpg

radiatorchange008.jpg

radiatorchange009.jpg

Next the condensor, release the pressure from the system then undo the two pipes, one top left front and one bottom right front. If you have a winch mount like mine then the bottom pipe is a bit of a work up but no major hassel. The condensor is more or les susspended on rubber and there are only 2 bolts to remove at the top front. Undo these and rotate the bracket round, push the condensor back and lift out.

Copyofradiatorchange006.jpg

This is what I found when I removed mine and I think that you will agree that my overheating problem was something to do with this. Firstly the condensor.

radiatorchange003.jpg

Now for the radiator.

Copyofradiatorchange001.jpg

The new ones are now fitted and all seems fine, all I need to do is find a hot day and a mountain to climb. That sounds like an excuse to go back to France :D :mrgreen:

radiatorchange012.jpg

radiatorchange010.jpg

All thats left now is to fit the precationary fan and scoop into the bonnet just in case I go to the desert some time soon.

Steve

Just out of interest Steve, what bonnet scoop are you thinking of fitting? I had advice from a chap at Allisport about fitting a bonnet scoop when I fit my intercooler to my Colorado. I have managed to get a Toyota one off a later model that sits on top of the engine. A bonnet scoop makes these type of intercoolers more efficient. I was thinking of fitting an Isuzu trooper one. They sit nice and flat on the bonnet.

Nice one Steve.

I could have used that when I replaced my rad. Although my condenser looks very similar to yours :?

I assume you have the KZTE? Good you got the overheating sorted before any head issues ;)

Next the condensor, release the pressure from the system then undo the two pipes

:o Chaps, doing this is seriously illegal. i.e. knowingly releasing refrigerant gas into the atmosphere. If you can at all, have a refrig person recover the gas for you. I know it is a bit of a faff but please try this route and not release any of that nasty refrig stuff into the sky. :cool:

I think it's safe to say you found the problem Steve :D

Steve H said:
Just out of interest Steve, what bonnet scoop are you thinking of fitting? I had advice from a chap at Allisport about fitting a bonnet scoop when I fit my intercooler to my Colorado. I have managed to get a Toyota one off a later model that sits on top of the engine. A bonnet scoop makes these type of intercoolers more efficient. I was thinking of fitting an Isuzu trooper one. They sit nice and flat on the bonnet.

It appears that Kenlow do the hole package scoop, trim and fans so will probably go with those when I get round to it. I gave the truck a work out this weekend fully loaded and some good hills and no troubles (earning some browny points taking the family and freinds camping post France trip :D :D ). So the scoop and fans has moved down the list of things to do as the rad replacements seems to have done the trick. I will let you all know what I go with when I do the Job.

Steve.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nuclear Chicken said:
Next the condensor, release the pressure from the system then undo the two pipes

:o Chaps, doing this is seriously illegal. i.e. knowingly releasing refrigerant gas into the atmosphere. If you can at all, have a refrig person recover the gas for you. I know it is a bit of a faff but please try this route and not release any of that nasty refrig stuff into the sky. :cool:

Yep quite correct, My local Mr T did mine for me as they owed me a favour and I said that I would go back to them for leak testing and re-fill.

Also whilst on the subject it is also illegal to put coolant down the drain and the old condensor and radiator have to be disposed of responsibly. Most council recycling centres will take them of your hands, mine doesn't even charge.

Steve

Soar y Mynydd (SN7388954101 - SN7851453326) is a decent long climb from west to east Steve, not as long as some of the climbs in France but you could go up and down it a few times :mrgreen:

Thats looks ideal may take the truck there next weekend for a try out.

Steve

Flushed my radiator fins out this weekend Steve and had more than my fair share of muck come out, off the plain judging by the colour of it! As a clogged rad is a fact of life when you like playing in muddy puddles I've fitted an X-Eng fan switch in the bottom rad pipe and will wire a bonnet scoop fan and rad fan off it when I had time read for the next time it's a bit hot ;)

Back