Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

connecting to coolant a webasto heater

eleblanc

Any of you guys have a Webasto or glycol heater installed? I'm wondering if i could simply T in the 2 pipes that goes to the Viscous Heater. uHu what would you do?

Eric

As the pipe out of the viscous heater goes to the heater core, it should be ok there. I.e. between the viscous and the cabin heater. That way it would heat the cabin first (depending on settings there), then the engine, and return through the viscous to be heated again.
Make sure the hvac heater control is set to heat before turning the ignition off.
6483340511_8d8dc61128_z.jpg

So i would split the heater hose and T right there, for both inlet and outlet of the webasto?

Normally no T, but an inline (or series) installation. I.e, the coolant always flows through the Webasto on it's way to the heater core.

Looking at the illus above, the Webasto would normally go where the viscous heater (marked Power Heater) is, in a standard installation. So the right thing would be for the Webasto to be between the viscous and the cabin heater core, with the flow going from the Webasto to the cabin heater core(s).

Wondering if webasto pump will have a issue pumping through the viscous heater?

Most of the time, while driving, the engine's water pump pumps the coolant trough the viscous heater, which is then standing still. If the engine's pump can manage, then I suppose the electric pump of the webasto can manage as well.

You could, as a test, disconnect the viscous heater and try blowing trough it, or let water from a bottle or hose run through it. Report back how much resistance there is.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not looked inside one but would expect there would be little additional resistance, its transfering the heat into the water as it passes through some sort of heat exchanger arrangement, you would not want to interfere with the water flow just increase the surface area exposed to the heat?

Assuming there can be resistance through the viscous heater, why not connect in parallel or T just before the viscous heater? It could create a loop between the viscous heater and the webasto? A check valve at the inlet of the webasto would prevent that?

eleblanc said:
Assuming there can be resistance through the viscous heater, why not connect in parallel or T just before the viscous heater? It could create a loop between the viscous heater and the webasto? A check valve at the inlet of the webasto would prevent that?
Sounds good as well. With a non-return valve. Could even be better. Tell us how it works.

This morning i tried to figure out where it could be installed, there is really only one place and it is next to the fuse box, but the driver spill valve control box need to be relocated. I did that and it took me a while to figure out why my truck wouldn't start with the control tossed to the side. I believe that this device must be grounded otherwise the truck wouldn't start.

Good tip about about the black box.

What's the 3rd pic? the worn hole.

Yeah not many explanation, there is a connector holder where i located the spill control, and the slotted hole bracket is my doing. I did that so i could fit the bracket there.
Tomorrow i'll fabricate the bracket to hold the webasto in place.

I moved the pictures into a other album and it seems i cannot edit my post. So here are the photo again

3488a4ff.jpg

af74474c.jpg

12e74d88.jpg

87f52162.jpg

Here is a small video of the webasto running. I connected the webasto inline after the viscous heater.

Now i'll be working on the remote start. I found a cheap remote car starter for 50$, hopefully i'll be able to wire the remote starter to operate the webasto instead of starting the car engine!

http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... G_0618.mp4

Waking up old thread - How is the webasto doing - is it still working?

Waking up old thread - How is the webasto doing - is it still working?

Id also like to know... Also where would be easiest place to pick up fuel for the webasto be? I really really don't want to drop the tank and install a new line just for the webasto.

But cant wait to get it up and running.

Welcome to the slow thread...
I installed a Webasto a month after my previous post. I took the fuel from somewhere close by, can't remember where. I can snap a few pics for you and post here.

It's been working perfectly well. I installed a remote start with a sim-card, so I send a text message to tell it when to start: Either just "Start" - which means it will run for up to 2 hrs; or "Start 0730" - which means "I want to start driving at 07.30, please have the car warm by then". It will then calculate when to start heating, based on current temperature and the recorded, experienced heat-up time.
If you want the cabin warm as well, the fan needs a double relay, and a resistor, because of the way its wired in the 100.

Welcome to the slow thread...
I installed a Webasto a month after my previous post. I took the fuel from somewhere close by, can't remember where. I can snap a few pics for you and post here.

It's been working perfectly well. I installed a remote start with a sim-card, so I send a text message to tell it when to start: Either just "Start" - which means it will run for up to 2 hrs; or "Start 0730" - which means "I want to start driving at 07.30, please have the car warm by then". It will then calculate when to start heating, based on current temperature and the recorded, experienced heat-up time.
If you want the cabin warm as well, the fan needs a double relay, and a resistor, because of the way its wired in the 100.

That’s sounds brilliantly done! I like the 7.30am setting! I will looking to it.

I got a 2ch from relay box with remote

It would be great if you could post a pic or 10 of you set up and where to get the fuel pic up!

Like you say the most challenging thing will be locating the wires for the fan. I was hoping to use one of the relays to switch on the webasto and then the other to switch on the interior fans but I have read that the webasto can signal the fans to start on its own?

Many thanks !

Back