Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Considering a 40 project

IRLGW

I recently stumbled over a 40 series (2 of) but haven't been up close yet. The owner tells me they are petrol but getting into them is a days work also. Is there much difference between theBL and BJ40 and are they easy converted to Diesel. The bodywork on one looks ok but no idea what state the chassis are in. I just don't like the idea of having a petrol truck but then it would only be a sunday car although if diesel conversions weren't too messy and I have to strip it down then I may as well do it then. What are people generally doing with 40 restorations?

If it is only a Sunday driver, personally I wouldn't bother. There is nothing wrong with the petrol engines apart from being a bit thirsty. They are a lot quieter for a start. If you put a diesel in, you are ruining the originality of the vehicle which may affect its value in the long run. Not to mention the time and cost of finding an engine. I would only do it if the engine is knackered, then you could upgrade and fit a V8 or a Cummins.......!!!!

Hi the one is a bj40 that is a Diesel 40 the Bl I don't now. It's not a big job to go diesel hope it helps.

To help clarify model codes for you:
B & F are engine type codes - B = diesel, F = Petrol. So a BJ40 is already a diesel.
J = the Japanese plant

BL codes are trucks built in Venezuela - the majority being 45 based.
In May, 1959, Toyota do Brazil began Land Cruiser assembly in Brazil. This was the first case of knock-down kits being assembled outside Japan. Land Cruiser assembly started in 1963 in Venezuela, 1970 in Indonesia and Pakistan (although Pakistani production was terminated in 1986), and 1977 in Kenya, and 1982 in Bangladesh.

So the 'J' would be replaced for trucks made in all these countries with their plant code.

Regards,
Rodger

To help clarify model codes for you:
B & F are engine type codes - B = diesel, F = Petrol. So a BJ40 is already a diesel.
J = the Japanese plant

So the 'J' would be replaced for trucks made in all these countries with their plant code.

Regards,
Rodger

That's interesting I always understood the "J" to denote Land Cruiser model.

I don't know if that system has changed for "modern" cruisers as the Toyota Portugal plant is certainly churning out VDJ 70 series and possibly HZJ's as well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The numbers/letters preceding the dash describe the body/frame style:
The first digit indicates the motor series (B/F/H/...)
The "J" indicates the vehicle came from the "J" production line.
the 3rd and 4th digits are numeric and indicate the series (25/40/60/...)
The 6th digit (if present) indicates steering position:
The 7th digit (if present) indicates body type
The letters after the dash indicate options etc:

Transmission type
Rear Door Type
Grade/Trim Level
Roof
Aspiration/Fuel
The last letter usually indicates the intended market
If the vehicle was delivered incomplete (usually as a cab and chassis) it received the final designation of "3"

This is of course only applicable to vehicles pre the 1985 unification/standardisation of VIN numbers.

All the Japanese 40 series came from "J" whereas other non-Japanese plants had their own designation i.e. L = Venezuela.
source - cruiserfaq

Regards,
Rodger

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_model_codes
The numbers/letters preceding the dash describe the body/frame style:
The first digit indicates the motor series (B/F/H/...)
The "J" indicates the vehicle came from the "J" production line.
the 3rd and 4th digits are numeric and indicate the series (25/40/60/...)
The 6th digit (if present) indicates steering position:
The 7th digit (if present) indicates body type
The letters after the dash indicate options etc:

Transmission type
Rear Door Type
Grade/Trim Level
Roof
Aspiration/Fuel
The last letter usually indicates the intended market
If the vehicle was delivered incomplete (usually as a cab and chassis) it received the final designation of "3"

This is of course only applicable to vehicles pre the 1985 unification/standardisation of VIN numbers.

All the Japanese 40 series came from "J" whereas other non-Japanese plants had their own designation i.e. L = Venezuela.
source - cruiserfaq

Regards,
Rodger
Isn't it amazing how a simple question opens up a whole new can of worms!!

Not surprisingly there are a couple of threads on IH8mud about this. There was a bit of debate about the F so someone asked Toyota. This was their reply:

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We appreciate the opportunity to answer your question.
Your FJ Land Cruiser derives its name from the 1950's Toyota Land Cruiser, which arrived in the United States in 1958.
The "F" is a reference to that early 50's engine series type and the "J" refers to the body style of the 1950's 4 Wheel Drive Land Cruiser vehicle.
The third and fourth digits, 40, identifies the generation code for the vehicle's engine, which is the first generation."

This makes sense, as all Toyota vehicles were initially made in Japan but did not get a J suffix on their model code, only the Land Cruiser. Eg. Dyna was U, Hilux was N, Corolla was E preceded by the engine code. There is a Wiki page on this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_model_codes

Having read this again and looked at cruiserfaq I see where the confusion lies. "J production line" doesn't refer to Japan production line but to Land Cruiser (J model) production line. Hence even Brazilian bandeirente are referred to as OJ models as they use Mercedes OM series engines. More info on J40 Wiki page

I find this stuff fascinating and very interesting but there are several contradictions between the various sites. I shall dig deeper and see what I can find.

Regards,

Rodger

I find this stuff fascinating and very interesting but there are several contradictions between the various sites. I shall dig deeper and see what I can find.

Regards,

Rodger

Do you have a copy of The Land Cruiser Legend by Alexander Wohlfarth? I would recommend it. It details the history of the LC from the beginning when the J stood for Jeep as it was developed as a military vehicle for the Korean War. This schematic from the book neatly explains the meaning of each basic model code
IMG_20180530_195351.jpg

Ok well if it is salvageable and its petrol, then petrol it shall stay. Lets face it fire extinguishers aren't as expensive these days....

Never seen that book before, thank you. I will get a copy.

Regards,

Rodger

Ok well if it is salvageable and its petrol, then petrol it shall stay. Lets face it fire extinguishers aren't as expensive these days....

Sorry that your post has been overtaken by the discussion of the letter J!!! If it is a BJ40 it should have a diesel, if it is an FJ40 it should have a petrol engine. Your biggest enemy is not the engine but rust. Most mechanical bits are easy to get/repair. Bodywork can quickly grow arms and legs!

I had a petrol shogun once that went on fire as I was checking spark plugs. Managed to get it under control after a while but the it was the plastics around the engine bay that kept re-igniting. last petrol car I ever owned!

Good, original always best and more likely to hold it's value - and [favourite soapbox alert!] what future for diesel?

Good, original always best and more likely to hold it's value - and [favourite soapbox alert!] what future for diesel?

I am happy to dispose of any diesel Land Cruisers that you are worried about ;)

Back