Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Converting auto to manual - how straight forward - involved?

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
How easy / straight forward would it be to convert an auto Swb 120 series to a manual gearbox model, is it just a case of swapping the gear box and gear linkages, etc or is it more involved than that? Would adding in the clutch pedal, clutch reisivor / hydraulics be difficult?
Are the propshafts / driveshafts different too?

Are the auto boxes reliable in general in these models or are they prone to needing rebuilds at some point or if on high mileage.

Just something I often wondered. Some nice auto examples pop up for sale and I always assumed auto gearboxes are expensive to fix and as I'd be keeping it long term if the auto box did give trouble I'd be interested in fitting in a manual box instead. So I'd like to know the options before buying an auto.

Not that I'm looking to buy one right now but do plan to at some stage.

I was looking for a SWB Auto 120 for Maria to replace the aging Yaris. I could only find manual ones for sale in the UK and they were all as rough as toast. I'd perhaps still consider an auto one if it was decent but it seems the majority are manuals anyway.
I've had manual Cruisers in the past as well as autos and had less to do on the autos than the manuals. Doing a conversion would be a massive undertaking when factory manuals are out there ready to be had.

Back