Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

converting to part time four wheel drive

During the latest bit of snow we had I had a try out engaging 4WD with the button on the dash (mine is a manual). With the front hubs engaged I did then have 4WD. In the snow and ice it was fine to drive. On tarmac it didnt like to turn tight corners at carpark speeds.
I'm guessing that on mine when 4WD is engaged its locking the transfer box 50/50 front and rear? Rather than engaging the front axle with some sort of differential front to rear.

With full time 4wd a centre diff is necessary to compensate for rotational differences between front and rear wheels, just as it is between left and right. When using 4wd in a PT4WD setup on surfaces where the wheels can't easily spin, at best you'll get transmission wind up and tyre scrub, at worst you could break something in the drive train.
I remember Mitsubishi saying that the logic behind adopting FT4WD effectively removes the decision and any doubt on the driver's part on when to safely select 4wd.

Like the first response. “WHY” would you convert a full time 4wd vehicle that was designed to be like that to part time 4wd. The cost of the kit alone would take forever to recover in the miniscule mpg increase.

Would you convert your AWD Audi’s or Subaru’s to Part time??

Felix im not sure which cruiser you have but its very probably full time 4x4 and the switch you pressed actually locked the centre diff

If you have an owners manual the design of the controls will be in there. There may not be a centre dif as on early LRs ?

Going back to the OP, perhaps he is after another option.

Some years back I busted a UJ on the rear prop shaft due to over enthusiasm in an old quarry in Cornwall. Removed the rear prop, put the car in H4 with hubs engaged (it's an old school PT4WD 70) and drove back to London in front wheel drive only. The car drove beautifully on tarmac, absolute crap off it. Perhaps the OP wants front wheel drive.

But the real question, as almost every responder has asked, is why?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back