Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Coolant leak into passenger footwell.

Rocketdog

Country Flag
england
Hi ,I appear to have a leak coming from a white plastic box to the right of the glovebox. Any ideas what is going on?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Isn’t that going to be where the heater is?

Reactions: Bas
Isn’t that going to be where the heater is?
I'm really hoping it's not the heater matrix. Apparently that's up there somewhere! The stream seems to be coming from a valve(?) on the bottom of a white plastic container?

Is it coolant (coloured, hopefully and sticky) or condensate (pure water) from your AC? If the latter it’s probably just a blocked pipe but worth investigating in case there’s other stuff inside causing a blockage. Also, check if your coolant level is dropping.

Is it coolant (coloured, hopefully and sticky) or condensate (pure water) from your AC? If the latter it’s probably just a blocked pipe but worth investigating in case there’s other stuff inside causing a blockage. Also, check if your coolant level is dropping.
I think it is coolant as it is sticky, besides I haven't used the AC since August! It's not enough to register a change in level at the radiator yet. Shall investigate more today. Weather permitting. thanks for your input.

A photo of the white plastic container and it’s “valve” might help, if you can get one.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Interestingly and coincidentally I have the same issue with my 24V auto, coming back from the AO show it steamed up and was a bugger to shift even with the air con on. Its leaking from the LHS of the heater as you look at it and running down the transmission tunnel drop by drop..
I was wondering, had anyone taken the heater box out of an 80 and is it a dash out job?

Interestingly and coincidentally I have the same issue with my 24V auto, coming back from the AO show it steamed up and was a bugger to shift even with the air con on. Its leaking from the LHS of the heater as you look at it and running down the transmission tunnel drop by drop..
I was wondering, had anyone taken the heater box out of an 80 and is it a dash out job?

I think Dervis had the same issue at some stage Andy. I know he had the whole lot out when he soundproofed his 80, he might be able to advise...

If it tastes sweat it's coolant. A lick and spit only!! Ethylene glycol is a tempting but deadly drink. No way back and a horrible death.

I've searched my manuals for taking out the matrix but cannot find anything even on the heating system.

I'd be pleased to hear any references for this procedure but I suspect it's a dash out job unless it's a leak running back from the engine compartment where the matrix is plumbed in. I had the matrix burst on my Audi 80 coupe and had to take the seats out then the whole dash out to take the heater box out in which the matrix was located. Furthermore the heater box was a nightmare to strip and rebuild even on the bench. If you have steam Andy it's going to be the matrix. My steam was so bad I had to drive home in winter with the windows open. Taking the top off the rad might be OK to relieve pressure enough to stop the matrix leaking/steaming for a slow journey home.

As our LC's are ageing more and more this is going to be a more common problem. Second hand matrixes may not be worth fitting if it's a really big job.

Last edited:
According to MUD it's deffo dash out but I can't find a complete procedure there. Lots of depressing pictures though.

Hmmm! This doesn’t sound too hopeful.
Fingers crossed for it to not be too painful.

If it tastes sweat it's coolant. A lick and spit only!! Ethylene glycol is a tempting but deadly drink. No way back and a horrible death.

I've searched my manuals for taking out the matrix but cannot find anything even on the heating system.

I'd be pleased to hear any references for this procedure but I suspect it's a dash out job unless it's a leak running back from the engine compartment where the matrix is plumbed in. I had the matrix burst on my Audi 80 coupe and had to take the seats out then the whole dash out to take the heater box out in which the matrix was located. Furthermore the heater box was a nightmare to strip and rebuild even on the bench. If you have steam Andy it's going to be the matrix. My steam was so bad I had to drive home in winter with the windows open. Taking the top off the rad might be OK to relieve pressure enough to stop the matrix leaking/steaming for a slow journey home.

As our LC's are ageing more and more this is going to be a more common problem. Second hand matrixes may not be worth fitting if it's a really big job.

I've SORN'd it now and will come back to it sometime. I might have a practice run on one of my spares Cruisers, I'll probably take it out of "MUD" as its well stripped anyway and the lowest mileage. Pricing a new one could be an interesting experience.

Unfortunately fellas it's more than likely coming from the matrix.
IMG_20191021_184319.jpg

View attachment 160823
This is the picture of the leak I have. It looks like it’s the matrix then? Damn!
If it tastes like coolant I can't see it coming from Anyother place than the matrix.
The centre section I removed in my previous post is easy enough to remove.
Removing the dash is a pretty crap job.
Putting it all back would be even worse.

If it tastes like coolant I can't see it coming from Anyother place than the matrix.
The centre section I removed in my previous post is easy enough to remove.
Removing the dash is a pretty crap job.
Putting it all back would be even worse.
There’s what appears to be a thermostat(?) that goes in that hole.
According to MUD it's deffo dash out but I can't find a complete procedure there. Lots of depressing pictures though.

Back