Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Coolant temperature gauge installed, but how badly have I screwed this up?

Big Fabio

Country Flag
united_states
Gentleman, it was reported that the coolant temperature gauge was not working on the 1995 HDJ80 series I recently purchased. It was advised to have the sensor replaced, which I had done while the vehicle was still in Panama.

On arrival of the vehicle the gauge did not work, I viewed this as a pretty major issue. The sensor did appear new and the single wire leading to it had power, but the coolant gauge never moved.

Well, one thing led to another and with the huge backlogs in repair shops around here I thought I would tackle this myself. So, parts ordered, a wait, and a long day later I had installed a coolant temperature gauge from Autometer and a SAAS Boost gauge just for the fun of it.

So, I am feeling pretty smug, until I start to read the fine print. Yes, after everything is done, the tools are put away and I am tossing the box out. Something like “Do Not Remove and Replace Your Factory Sensor” as it may control other engine functions. Well hell. Exactly what I did.

My question is, what else, if anything does the coolant sensor control? So far the engine seems to run just the same. The new gauge shows the temperature around 140 after warming up. I do still have the original sensor, and have the option of installing the aftermarket (2 wire) sensor into the heater or radiator tubing with the correct adaptor, but if it is all the same I would like to keep it where it is.

gauge.jpg

The thermostat controls the coolant cycle so the sensor only gives temperature , its an aftermarket gauge so i suppose that warning is there in case someone decides to fit it to a Tesla or spaceship .

The engine air intake heater system also takes input from the temperature sensor, assuming your truck has the system fitted.

Back