Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cordless phones

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Guys, it's not often that I post something un-Cruiser related, but at end of my tether here.

Can anyone genuinely recommend a make and model of cordless home telephone? It needs to come with at least three handsets in the box, built in ansafone and base station chargers. It only has to have one criteria.

Clear and loud. Ok that's two. It only has to have two criteria, clear, loud and simple. Ok that's three..

I'll go out and come back in again.

Chris

Honestly, I just want some damn phones that work and I can hear people and they can hear me. It's not much to ask is it? In a digital age? Oh it has to be current and available obviously.

Easy peasy Chris, having wasted dosh on crappy sets over the years I found my solution with BT phones. In my case the BT Sonus has done it for me.

That's a good start Trevor. Clearly you have trodden this path before. I shall ring you first when I get some. And if they're rubbish .......

C

Sorry Chris, you're breaking up mate

I'll have a look at what we have and post back in the morning.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We have a Panasonic KX-TGA830E (Well that's what's written on the handset) and it came with a base station and 4 had sets each with their own charging stations. I think at the time you could have got 2/3/4 handsets. It's quite good, had it for over 6 years now and no issues. Only complaint would be playing back voicemail can tend to be a bit feint. Just did a search and they are no longer available, but these seem to be the replacement http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-K...KX-TG8521EB/dp/B0047T6R48/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_1

HTH

We have a Panasonic KX-TGA830E (Well that's what's written on the handset) and it came with a base station and 4 had sets each with their own charging stations. I think at the time you could have got 2/3/4 handsets. It's quite good, had it for over 6 years now and no issues. Only complaint would be playing back voicemail can tend to be a bit feint. Just did a search and they are no longer available, but these seem to be the replacement http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-K...KX-TG8521EB/dp/B0047T6R48/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_1

HTH

That link you give Tony is the phone I've got, four handsets and answerphone, the handsets are brilliant can't comment on the answerphone as we have a separate answer machine in the hall where we can see if we've had messages when we come through the front door. The phone though has volume control which goes loud enough for my old ears and speakerphone which I use all the time so I don't have to hold it to my ear.

Thanks chaps. Have to say the BT products seem to get a right royal drubbing. Including their service. OK some of the review go like 'I bought this for my Mum because she's 84 and senile. She keeps putting it in the microwave and then when she wants to answer it, she presses the wrong button. I have asked BT if they'll move the buttons but all they keep saying is that they don't sell microwaves. Rubbish service' Right well, that's objective isn't it. But aside from those, they aren't well liked. Except by Trevor of course...

Panasonic, eh?

Chris

To be honest Chis I never liked the BT phones... surely they don't make them themselves? Must be something else re-branded. Actually thought of another issue with the Panasonic.... On mine the buttons don't light up (don't know about Chas' ones) so if it rings in the room at night it's a fiddle to answer... not a big issue, but still a -ve

Way back in the day we had for many years a Binatone set that worked faultlessly till you could not longer replace the batteries, so we bought a BT set to replace them with. To be honest we tolerated the BT ones for as long as we could, but in the end replaced them very quickly with a Philips set that we have now had for 5 years or more and they've be great. It's not untill you've asked this question Chris that I've realised just how good they must be as we just use them without thought. They also use standard AAA rechargeable batteries, so they are cheap and easy to replace when required.

Last edited:
On mine the buttons don't light up (don't know about Chas' ones) so if it rings in the room at night it's a fiddle to answer... not a big issue, but still a -ve

The buttons on mine do light up when you pick it up off the base and when a call comes in, and the batteries are normal rechargeable AAA's

Last edited:
These are what we have; so far I've dropped at least one handset with no adverse effect, the dog has stolen at least one (it's dog slob proof...) and they seem to be doing well. Easy to set up, can call other handsets to find people, and settings can be sent to the other handsets so you don't have to do each one. From memory you can get an additional handset and add it to the system at a later date if you need more. Battery lasts about a week without being in the cradle which is good.

Buttons light up, has a speaker phone option and I can answer the phone with a pair of work gloves on! Also has a button look (like a mobile phone) so that you can put it in your pocket and not ring everyone (or in our case so that the dog doesn't do heavy breathing down the phone line...)

Gigaset is the Siemens brand name for their phones, and interestingly at GF's work they use them as well.

Hope that helps,

Last edited:
I saw the Gigaset ones on our website last night and they do seem to have very good reviews. I deduced they were Siemens. I think I shall give those a go. Obviously it helps that I get a discount and of course our legendary customer service means it's a trouble free purchase blah blah.

Not sure when I am next in a branch. Unfortunately I am not allowed to just pick them up from the DC when I am there.

Chris

Sorry Chris, is "Our" website the same website I linked to? Being a Newbie here I don't know people exactly...

Let's just say that I work for a well known High Street retailer who's never knowingly undersold. Yes.

Chris

Ah... If I'd known that I'd have linked to one of the devil spawn who pay no (or minimal) tax in the UK so the shareholders (rather than the partners/hard workers) get the profits.

:p (I want a tongue in cheek smilie... which one is it?!)

Last edited:
WHAT? Starbucks have started selling phones???? :shock:

Chris

Back